[acc-cca-l] Invitation to register to the Food Matters and Materialities: Critical Understandings of Food Cultures Conference - Sept. 22-25

Myriam Durocher MyriamDurocher at cunet.carleton.ca
Thu Sep 9 08:05:22 MDT 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

* Apologies for cross-posting*
Dear colleagues,
We would like to invite you to the Food Matters and Materialities: Critical Understandings of Food Cultures Conference set to happen online, from Sept. 22-25.
Food Matters and Materialities is an international and multidisciplinary conference that explores, from a critical perspective, how power relations take form in contemporary food cultures. We discuss how these power relationships materialize in particular food matters/materialities and in a wide range of food-related practices such as production, harvesting, circulation, preparation, control, and consumption. With over 80 presenters & discussants, artists, community practitioners & activists and extraordinary keynotes, the Conference is meant to offer space for discussion, reflections, and inspire cultural change.
In addition to a list of fascinating papers<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/paper-abstracts/>, presenters<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/conference-participants/>, and chairs/discussants<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/chair-discussants/>, here are a few highlights of this Conference:

  *   2 Keynotes Speakers: Hiʻilei Julia Kawehipuaakahaopulani Hobart & Emily Yates-Doerr (see poster<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/wp-content/uploads/FMM_keynotes_poster_vf.pdf>, also attached to this email)
  *   A plenary, which will feature perspectives from activists and practitioners who are grappling with and proposing means of resistance to entrenched social inequities as they take form through food in communities where they live and/or work (see poster<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/wp-content/uploads/FMM_plenary_v3.pdf>, also attached to this email)
  *   A Virtual Art Gallery<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/virtual-art-gallery/>, curated by artist and scholar Pamela Tudge, which will be complemented by an Artist Talk on Sept. 23rd, 12:00-12:50 (EDT)
  *   A Conference Workshop<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/workshop/> - “Everyone Makes Waste: Using Accessible Art and Design Practices to Increase the Visibility of Food-based Waste”, on Sept. 24th, from 11:00-12:15 (EDT)
Join us!
Program at-a-glance available on our website<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/program/> and also attached to this email.
To register for free:
To the whole Conference: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/food-matters-and-materialities-critical-understandings-of-food-cultures-registration-161542876091
To the Keynote Talks: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/food-matters-and-materialities-conference-keynote-tickets-161652162971
To the Plenary: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/food-matters-inequities-resistance-plenary-tickets-169164458449
Send me an email (myriamdurocher[at]cunet.carleton.ca) if you want to take part in the Conference Workshop. Places are limited: only 10 places are still available. We will take subscriptions until we reach full capacity.
We are looking forward to engaging with you all in rich, fascinating, and important discussions surrounding food, food cultures, and food related issues and inequalities!
Best wishes,
Myriam Durocher & Irena Knezevic (on behalf of the organizing committee)
Food Matters Conference<https://carleton.ca/foodmatters/>

This email contains links to content or websites. Always be cautious when opening external links or attachments.

Please visit https://carleton.ca/its/help-centre/report-phishing/ for information on reporting phishing messages.

When in doubt, the ITS Service Desk can provide assistance. https://itsjira.carleton.ca/servicedesk/customer/portal/5

-----End of Disclaimer-----