[acc-cca-l] Conference - The recent state of memory studies in Brazil – Critical reflections on the role of memory between heritage, archives, media and social justice.

CELAT-UQAM celat at uqam.ca
Wed Sep 8 12:54:23 MDT 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Organisée dans le cadre de la série de conférences internationales Les temps qui viennent au CELAT-UQAM :

Speakers: Lucia Santa-Cruz & Talitha Ferraz (ESPM-Rio, Rio de Janeiro)

Chairs: Débora Krischke Leitão (CELAT) and Maria Juliana Angarita Bohorquez (CELAT)

September 26th, 13.00 – 14.30 (Montreal time, via ZOOM)
Registration: https://uqam.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvce-urzMuGtXvFSSAScltoP5rYC-PkH3b
The recent state of memory studies in Brazil – Critical reflections on the role of memory between heritage, archives, media and social justice.
For so long, Brazil has been known as the country of the future. The past was not perceived as a foreign land, but as a forgettable one. It seems to be only the path to the present, which, by its turn, is driven to the becoming. This mentality also collaborated to a popular saying that we are a country "without memory".  We should put both affirmatives in perspective, mainly because of our tough current days, which are revealing a range of dealings with a deep crisis, that embraces past, present, and future in Brazilian society. That is why in this talk, we intend to address some theoretical and methodological considerations, doing an overview of the Memory Studies in Brazil from a historical perspective to the current state of the art of this field. We will also discuss some findings of our research based on the relation with memory and topics such as nostalgia, cinemagoing practices, creative economy, and social communication.
Lucia Santa-Cruz is a Brazilian professor and journalist with a Ph.D. in Communication and Culture. She is a professor at ESPM-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where she serves as deputy coordinator of the Professional Master in Management of Creative Economy. Santa-Cruz also teaches undergraduate courses. Leader of the Research Group Lembrar, which studies memory and representation. One of the founders of the Brazilian Memory and Communication Studies Network (Rememora). Member of The International Media and Nostalgia Network (IMNN). Her research subjects are memory, media, journalism history, heritage, culture, consumption, and creative economy.
Email: lucia.santacruz at espm.br<mailto:lucia.santacruz at espm.br>
Talitha Ferraz is a Brazilian professor in cinema and media studies at the Escola Superior de Propaganda e Marketing (ESPM) and the Programa de Pós-Graduação em Cinema e Audiovisual of the Universidade Federal Fluminense (PPGCine-UFF). She holds a PhD in communication and culture from the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (ECO-UFRJ), with a doctoral internship at the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa (FCSH-Nova), Portugal. Dr. Ferraz carried out post-doctoral research at the Centre for Cinema and Media Studies (CIMS) at Ghent University, Belgium. She is coordinator of the research group Modos de Ver (ESPM-PPGCine-UFF/ CNPq) and member of the following networks: Coordenação Interdisciplinar de Estudos Contemporâneos da ECO-UFRJ (CIEC/ECO-UFRJ), International Media & Nostalgia Network (IMNN), History of Moviegoing Exhibition and Reception - HoMER Network, and Cinema City Cultures (CCC).