[acc-cca-l] Job opportunity: Director and professor, UBC School of Journalism, Writing, and Media

Hermida, Alfred Alfred.Hermida at ubc.ca
Thu Oct 1 15:34:12 MDT 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

Hello friends

Tremendous opportunity for an exceptional and accomplished scholar to lead our growing School of Journalism, Writing, and Media at the University of British Columbia.

It has been such a rewarding experience to serve as the School’s director for the past five years, growing the unit as a hub for innovative research, teaching, and practice in journalism and media, writing and communication, and knowledge production and mobilization.

From the job position:
The Faculty of Arts at UBC – Vancouver campus invites applications to fill the position of Professor and Director of the School of Journalism, Writing, and Media, with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2021. The administrative appointment as Director is for an initial five-year term, with the possibility of reappointment for a second term. We expect that the successful candidate will be appointable at a senior professorial rank; thus, we seek applicants who have a distinguished record of research publications and scholarly activity commensurate with appointment at the rank of Professor. Appointment at the rank of Associate Professor at a senior level may be considered. The area of academic specialization is open. We welcome applications from scholars and researchers in the fields of journalism, media, and communications, including those with specializations in rhetoric or writing studies, as well as scholars with expertise and experience in professional journalism practice.
https://www.arts.ubc.ca/academic-postings/journalism-writing-and-media-professor-and-director/

Alfred Hermida, Ph.D
Director & Professor, UBC School of Journalism, Writing, and Media<http://journalism.ubc.ca/>
On the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm) people

Co-founder, The Conversation Canada<http://theconversation.com/ca>
@hermida

Recent work:
Hermida, Alfred and Mellado, Claudia (2020). Dimensions of Social Media Logics: Mapping Forms of Journalistic Norms and Practices on Twitter and Instagram, Digital Journalism<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21670811.2020.1805779>

Young, Mary Lynn & Hermida, Alfred (2020). The Conversation Canada: Not for Profit Journalism in a Time of Commercial Media Decline (Preprint<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3621685>).  In Dubois, Elizabeth and Martin-Bariteau, Florian (eds.), Citizenship in a Connected Canada: A Research and Policy Agenda, Ottawa, ON: University of Ottawa Press.