[Chacmool-l] This Week's Newsletter

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Mon Mar 10 23:27:32 MDT 2014

Hey Guys!

Apparently This Week is a busy one! Here's whats happening!

1. Arky Beyond Academy  Speaker
2.St. Patty's Party
3.39th Annual ASA Conference and Call for Papers
4. Field School in Manitoba
5. Wigham Family Scholarship
6' Anthropology Talk
7.Noon Hour Lecture-Exec Special!!

1. Arky Beyond the Academy Speaker

This lecture is titled Community Engagement: Opportunities in Cultural
Resource Management and will be given by Gareth Spicer, Principal
Archaeologist with Turtle Island Cultural Resource Management. These talks
are a great way to be more involved in the CRM world so for sure check out
the attached poster!

2.St. Patty's Party

The 14th of March is the annual St. Patty's party hosted by the graduate
students! Come celebrate like the Irish! As always there will be drinks
for purchase and food!! Stop by ES859 at 4pm for a good time!

3. 39th Annual ASA conference and Call for Papers
The ASA conference is fast approaching and they are still accepting
papers! If this is something that may interest you check out the attached
posters! Please note that there is one for the call for papers and one for
the actual conference.

4.Field School In Manitioba

What could be better!? Seriously check this out people!
Dig up the past in northern Manitoba

This summer, Parks Canada and the Churchill Northern Studies Centre offer
archaeology enthusiasts a chance to get a hands-on experience. Discover
what life
was like at the fort as you excavate, screen and document your discoveries
in the
field. Travel daily by boat across the Churchill River with beluga whales
in pursuit
and perhaps even catch a glimpse of those famous polar bears. Participate in
lectures on related topics and interact with a dynamic group of scientists
who study
this fascinating region.

Click
<http://parkscanada.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=226893ebeb0ecbf4f71c3cdd0&id=4d382f5932&e=fc64928bbe>
here for more info.

5. Wigham Family Scholarship

Scholarships are such a great option for getting through school! Look what
what we were sent! We Know many of you have the grades and a few have the
interest! Definitely apply!

A friendly reminder that applications for the Wigham Family Scholarship
are due on
March 15, 2014. The scholarship allows graduate students enrolled in Greek
and Roman
Studies or Archaeology the opportunity to travel and study in the
Mediterranean or
Europe.

The award is given to one student each year and is worth $2500. Students
must have a
cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 in order to qualify.

Students must have a proven interest in Mediterranean studies and
preference is
given to applicants with confirmed registration in either an academic
course in
Mediterranean studies or field work in the area.

A letter of application should be submitted to the Department of Greek and
Roman
Studies no later than March 15, 2014. Letters may be emailed to
grst at ucalgary.ca<mailto:grst at ucalgary.ca>.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
__
Benn Antepim
Undergraduate Program Administrator, Department of Greek and Roman Studies
Interim Program Support, Department of Religious Studies
University of Calgary
Phone: (403) 220-5537  Fax: (403) 220-9581

6. Anthropology Talk

It's Always a great option to check out other department's talks! This is
also a great way to meet our new Anthropology family! The talk will be
given by Dr. Colin Young and it is titled Future of Conservation in a
Developing Country Context: Sustainability or Fallacy? This sounds like an
awesome talk we have attached a poster with the when and where!

7. Noon Hour Lecture

This Wednesday's noon hour lecture is extra special this week! Chacmool's
very own Christina Poletto and Chip Guse will be talking about plant use
in White Rock Springs! As always it will be in ES859 at noon so come check
it out! Also so the poster attached!

Have a great week everyone!
-Chacmool