[Chacmool-l] Chacmool Newsletter-Oct. 6th-Oct 12th

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Sun Oct 6 21:54:34 MDT 2013

Hello again!

We hope everyone is doing well! Here's what going on this week!

1.Merger Survey
2.Arky Shirt Day
3.Noon Hour Lecture
4.Commuter Challenge
5.Interniship Opportunity

1. Merger Survey
  Chacmool would like to thank everyone who participated in the merger
survey! We had so many responses!

2.Arky Shirt Day!
   Don't forget that this Tuesday is Arky Shirt Day! Let's let the school
know we exist! If you don't have a shirt, don't fear Chacmool has you
covered! Stop by our office in ES826 and get yourself some swag!

3.Noon Hour Lecture
  This week's noon hour lecture looks like a good one! Chacmool is still
looking for volunteers to bring snacks for the lecture. This weeks
lecture will be given by Robert Patalano. He will be talking about plant
biomarkers as climate proxies during early rice domestication. See
attached poster for more information!

4.Commuter Challenge
  The University of Calgary is running a commuter challenge between the
departments. It is past the start date but we are aware of how
environmentally friendly our Chacmoolians are. We can catch up! Check
out the attached email for information!

5.Intership Opportunity
  Last but not least heres a great opportunity.
  Colleen Packer (see announcement below)

Subject: Internships in Germany and Washington, D.C. for Alberta Residents!

Looking for an opportunity to combine your taste for adventure with a great
experience that will stand out on your resume?

The Alberta-Saxony and Alberta-Smithsonian Internship Programs offer
opportunities for U of C students in any Faculty to spend 3-4 months working
in the Saxony region of Germany or in Washington, D.C. Applicants must be
Alberta Residents (i.e. born in Alberta, graduated from a high school in
Alberta or lived in Alberta for 12 consecutive months without being a
student).

Come to a 45-minute information session at the Centre for International
Students & Study Abroad (MSC 275) to find out more:

Tuesday, October 8 at 12pm

Wednesday, October 9 at 11am

See http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/abroad/fair for details.
Alberta-Saxony Internship Program: A variety of placements are available
with corporations, not-for-profit agencies, universities and small
businesses in the areas of health, energy, environment and economic
development. German language skills are not required, although preference
will be given to candidates with at least some knowledge of the language.
Students must have completed at least 15 courses (3 full semesters) at the
post-secondary level at the time of application. Recent graduates may also
be considered. For more information, please check out
http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/abroad/internships#Saxony and
www.albertasaxony.com, but don't wait too long as applications are already
being accepted for Summer 2014 placements!
Alberta-Smithsonian Internship Program: allows students to work alongside
recognized scholars, scientists and educators in a variety of disciplines,
including Art & Design, Business, Fine Arts, History & Culture, Music and
Science & Technology. Students must have completed at least 20 courses at
the post-secondary level before participating in the program and must have a
minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (B), with a minimum of 3.2 (B+) in the semester
prior to application. The deadline for Summer 2014 or Fall 2014 placements
is January 13, 2014. For more information, see
http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/abroad/internships#Smithsonian and
http://albertasmithsonian.com
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. All the best,
Colleen

Thanks guys!
Chacmool