[Chacmool-l] Chacmool News March 12

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 12 14:34:50 MDT 2013

Hi Everyone!

1.	Lunch time Speaker
2.	St. Paddy’s Day Party
3.	Scavenger Hunt
4.	Buckets of Change
5.	Research Showcase Opportunity for Undergraduate Honours Students
6.     Archaeological Society of Alberta 38th Annual Conference and AGM

1. Archaeology Department Noon Hour Lecture Series
    	Speaker: Mary McDonald
    	Where: Earth Sciences 859
    	When: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 from 12:00-1:00 pm
A forgotten settlement in an “empty desert”. Site J in Kharga Oasis, Egypt
G. Caton-Thompson in Kharga Oasis in Prehistory (1952) published ‘Site J’,
a group of stone outlines “of unknown age and purpose”, located high on
the escarpment face above Kharga Oasis, Egypt.  In January 2011, we
relocated Site J (our site BQ-008) and affirmed that the associated
lithics belong to the Khargan Complex, a Late Pleistocene entity.  The
discovery was problematic for two reasons.  One is the somewhat
nondescript nature of the Khargan industry, which prompts some to question
if it is even human-made.  The other problem is that it appears to date to
a time when the Sahara is thought to have been hyperarid and empty of
life.  However, evidence is accumulating for Khargan sites, and Khargan
structures, elsewhere in the Eastern Sahara.  Still, Site J remains the
largest such site, and perhaps the earliest ‘settlement’ anywhere in the
world.  I speculate on what resources may have sustained this early
episode of increased sedentism.

2. St. Paddy’s Day Party
	Where: Earth Sciences 859
	When: Friday, March 15th at 5:00 pm
Chacmool is co-hosting this event with the Graduate students. Please come
by and enjoy some beer and snacks in honour of St. Paddy.

3. Chacmool Scavenger Hunt
	Where: All over the U of C Campus
	When: Friday, March 22, 2013 at 5pm (should take about 1-2 hours –
	depending on how clever the team is:)
If you are considering doing this fantastic and fun event, please sign
your team up ASAP – we need to know how many teams there will be in order
to design the clues. Sign up sheet is now outside the office at ES 826.
Other things to know – Each team will need a smart phone and every team
member will need to bring along $10 cash. This is a member’s only event.
More information to come.

4. Buckets of Change
	Where: ES 826
	When: When the door is open. We will be counting up the change on April 5th.
In the spirit of giving back, Chacmool will be collecting people’s pennies
and other small change. All money raised will go to First Book Canada, a
charity that distributes books and education resources to low-income
families across Canada with the goal of overcoming illiteracy. For every
$10 we raise, 4 books will be bought for children in need. Check out their
website: http://www.firstbookcanada.org/

If you were contemplating what you would do with all your pennies, this is
a great solution.

5. Research Showcase Opportunity for Undergraduate Honours Students
“My name is Sarah Damberger and I am contacting you today on behalf of the
University of Calgary Students' Union Faculty of Arts representatives.

On March 27th, we will be hosting a Networking Gala and Showcase event for
Faculty of Arts students and alumni. The event will be held in the MacEwan
Ballroom from 5:30-7:30 pm. At this event, we are hoping to celebrate the
creative and academic work of current students within the faculty of arts,
and would love to feature a selection of undergraduate research from your
department. We are hoping to display a number of research posters at the
event, with the students there to answer questions and talk to attendees
about their work, if they feel so inclined. Students will attend the event
free of charge and will be provided with dinner. Students can also submit
their work to be displayed even if they are unable to attend the event.

We have room for 30 project posters that are maximum 4ftx4ft in size, so a
few students from your department could participate, if they are
interested. It would be greatly appreciated if you could pass the
information about this opportunity on to any students within your
department that you think would be interested in participating.

Students who would like to participate or have any questions about the
event can contact me at arts1 at su.ucalgary.ca or 587-777-5244.

Thank you very much for your time and please don't hesitate to let me know
if you have any questions. “

6. Archaeological Society of Alberta 38th Annual Conference and AGM
        When: May 10-12, 2013
Please see the attached poster.