[Chacmool-l] Update Sept. 23

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Thu Sep 23 10:37:10 MDT 2010

Greetings Chacmool Members,

In this email you will find:

1. Pizza Night is tomorrow!
2. Noon Hour Lectures and more pizza
3. Volunteering for Noon Hour Lectures
4. Volunteer Opportunity with Sonia Zarrillo

Enjoy!

Lauren
Chacmool President

1. Pizza night is happening tomorrow, September 24th, at 5 pm in ES 859.
I'll make a quick presentation about upcoming events, our new sponsor, and
of course we will be selling membership. Jamie Eddy will make a
presentation about the Chacmool Conference coming up and let you know
about volunteering opportunities there. We hope to see you!

2. The Noon Hour Lecture Series is starting up again with a talk by Dr.
Warren Wilson on September 29 titled "Makushi Health: Tough Girls and
Unusual Genes?" These are approximately hour long lectures from 12-1 pm on
every Wednesday, and we provide the coffee. We will also be selling pizza
for $2 a slice so bring out your change. For a volunteer opportunity with
the Noon Hour Lecture series, see below.

3. We are looking for Noon Hour Lecture volunteers to sign-up to bring
treats for approximately 20-30 people. Need ideas? Try something along the
line of 30 cookies, or 30 squares, or 30 donuts. You get the idea, bring
30 of something snack-like. If you purchase something to bring, give the
receipt to Chacmool and we will reimburse you.

I gave several people the schpeel that if you are a student and volunteer
for Chacmool 20 hours throughout the year, we'll validate it on your
Co-Curricular Record. Bringing snacks to Noon Hour Lectures will count as
2 of those 20 hours. They add up quickly, get in on the action.

4. This message about a volunteer opportunity comes from Sonia:
Dear students,

I'm looking for some volunteers to work one or two hours a week (minimum,
and on a consistent basis) in the lab on material from Ecuador. Right now
the work will involve sorting through processed sediment looking for
botanical remains, but there are other types of analysis and work as well.

While no specific experience in botany is necessary, it would be helpful
(but not required) if you have some experience with other types of
technical
analysis (ceramic, lithic, faunal or human osteological).

I will provide training and ongoing guidance, so this is an excellent
opportunity to learn new skills and obtain practical experience for your
resume.

If all of the above isn't reward enough, I have been known to be generous
with food and libations.... must keep the archaeology "spirits" happy, after
all.

Of course, feel free to email me with any questions and don't be shy or feel
you are not qualified. You likely know more than you think and I'm not going
to start the rocket science until the winter term, so there's plenty of time
to learn!

If interested, please contact:

sonia.zarrillo at ucalgary.ca

Sonia

Thanks!

*If you have received this email in error, please let us know*