[Chacmool-l] Upcoming Events Sept. 27

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Mon Sep 27 16:46:56 MDT 2010

Greetings Chacmool members.

A big thank you to all who attended our welcome back pizza night. There
was plenty to go around and good times were had.

We're back to having office hours with a few changes. For now, our office
ours will be Mondays and Fridays from 12-1pm in ES 826. If you need to
book another time, just send us an email and let us know.

Thanks

Lauren
Chacmool President

In this email you'll find:

1. Noon Hour Lecture This Wednesday
2. The Military Museums Collection Tour - 7 spots left
3. Cemetery Tour for the Archaeologically Minded - 2 spots left
4. Chacmool Conference and Volunteering
5. Joint Meeting with the Classics Student Society and the History
Students Association
6. Sponsors Update

1. The Noon Hour Lecture Series is starting up again with a talk by Dr.
 Warren Wilson on September 29 titled "Makushi Health: Tough Girls and
 Unusual Genes?" These are approximately hour long lectures from 12-1 pm
on
every Wednesday, and we provide the coffee. We will also be selling pizza
 for $2 a slice so bring out your change. If you would like to volunteer
to bring snacks to the Noon Hour Lecture, please send us an email or sign
up outside of the Chacmool Office.

2. Chacmool has planned a "behind the scenes" tour of The Military Museums
for October 21 at 2 pm. We'll be taking a look at their collection and
we'll get to see all the goodies that don't normally go on display.
Parking and admission are free, but space is limited. You must be a member
of Chacmool in order to sign up. Stop by our office or send us an email to
sign up. Please include your membership number and name in your email.
There are 7 spaces left for this event.

3. We've planned a Cemetery Tour for the Archaeologically Minded on
 October 30th at 2 pm. Again, space is limited and you must be a Chacmool
 member to sign up. We'll be visiting Union Cemetery with our lovely tour
 guide Don Sucha. We ask that this be a respectful occasion and that no
 Halloween attire be worn. Only 2 spaces left!

4. The Chacmool Conference is happening from November 11-14, 2010. We're
still looking for volunteers for all sorts of jobs. In particular, we are
looking for some individuals to take on bigger jobs such as volunteer
coordinator and book room coordinator. So, if you're interested in
volunteering for the conference and have some time to spare, please email
us and let us know. The website for the conference can be found here:

http://arky.ucalgary.ca/chacmool2010/

5. Chacmool is having a joint meeting with the Classics Student Society
and the History Students Association on October 6th in Cassio A/B. It will
start around 5 pm and representatives from all three clubs will be
present. This is a great chance to get out and meet people from other
departments with similar interests and have a good time. We'll send out
another email on Monday with more details on the goods.

6. We're extremely happy to announce that Marshalltown has agreed to be
our sponsor. Through them, we are able to order goodies at an amazing 50%
off! We'll be making a major order around November so we will update later
on that. We're still working on recruiting more sponsors so keep posted!

*If you have received this email in error or no longer wish to receive
Chacmool emails, please let us know*