[acc-cca-l] NEW BOOK: The New Journalist's Guide to Freelancing (Broadview Press)

Meg Wilcox mwilcox at mtroyal.ca
Wed May 1 09:47:45 MDT 2024

[△EXTERNAL]

Hello all — a book that may be of use as you look at course planning for the fall!

I wrote The New Journalist's Guide to Freelancing: Building Your Career in the New Media Landscape<https://broadviewpress.com/product/a-new-journalists-guide-to-freelancing/#tab-description> (Broadview Press) to fill the gap I felt when I came out of Journalism school and found myself in the world of freelance. It's a mix of how-to guide and shorter, snappier textbook that covers that basics of working freelance, and includes lots of first-person accounts of freelancers who work in print, audio, video, and more.

Written from a Canadian perspective (with sections for each that address Canadian and US differences in taxes and copyright), this book stands on its own (perhaps a gift for that recent media grad in your life?) but I've also used it to redevelop our Media Entrepreneurship course for the Broadcast Media Studies and Journalism & Digital Media programs at Mount Royal University. You can read a bit more about the book and the course on J-Source: Why freelancing is now a necessary part of journalism education<https://j-source.ca/why-freelancing-is-now-a-necessary-part-of-journalism-education/> (March 8, 2024).

I'm including a discount code for The New Journalist's Guide to Freelancing below — but if you would like access to a digital exam copy, feel free to email me at mwilcox at mtroyal.ca<mailto:mwilcox at mtroyal.ca>. I'll also be at the CCA conference with some free copies if you'd like to meet and grab a print one!

[New Journalist Postcard_Page_1.jpg][New Journalist Postcard_Page_2.jpg]

--
Meg Wilcox (she/her)
Associate Professor, School of Communication Studies

thepodcaststudio.ca<http://thepodcaststudio.ca>
@meghw | 403.431.4495

Mount Royal University rests on the traditional territories of the Siksikaitsitapi (Blackfoot Confederacy), comprised of the Siksika, Kainai, Piikani, and Amskapi Piikani First Nations; the Tsuut'ina First Nation; and the Îyârhe  Nakoda, including the Chiniki, Bearspaw,Wesley First Nations; and is also home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III. I am proud to be a guest to these neighbour nations.