[acc-cca-l] Decolonizing Journalism course

Shenaz Kermalli shenaz.kermalli at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 20 14:51:30 MDT 2024

[△EXTERNAL]

**PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR EDUCATORS AND PROFESSIONALS**

Dear Colleagues,

I'm thrilled to share news about the launch of an exciting new course at University of Toronto's School of Continuing Studies.

Decolonizing Journalism<https://learn.utoronto.ca/programs-courses/courses/4110-decolonizing-journalism> looks unflinchingly at how Eurocentric models of newsgathering - despite claims of objectivity - actively participate in propping up social order and preserving the status quo. This 12-week course is a home for theory, discussion and implementation strategies to decolonize those traditional practices.

We will be examining decolonization through four lenses: Indigenous, Black, Francophone and the Global South. Each of these sections have been developed by leading Canadian journalists with subject matter expertise: Dan David (Mohawk journalist and trainer), Desmond Cole (author and journalist), Lela Savić  (publisher, La Converse) and Shree Paradkar (Toronto Star race and gender columnist). Each will infuse their industry and lived experiences into live webinars every two weeks.

This course is ideal for news consumers, journalism and communications educators and editorial leaders alike.

To learn more, please contact me at shenaz.kermalli at utoronto.ca<mailto:shenaz.kermalli at utoronto.ca>. To register, visit this site<https://learn.utoronto.ca/programs-courses/courses/4110-decolonizing-journalism>.

Many thanks,
Shenaz Kermalli
Lead Instructor, Decolonizing Journalism
School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto