[acc-cca-l] Tenure Track Position Film Studies. Mount Royal University

Richard Sutherland rfsutherland at mtroyal.ca
Thu Mar 14 13:27:57 MDT 2024

[△EXTERNAL]

Tenure Track Position in FILM. Mount Royal University. Calgary, Alberta
https://mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/2650

Mount Royal University is accepting applications for a full-time tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Film Studies to commence July 1, 2024, subject to budgetary approval.
New faculty are hired into one of two work patterns. The teaching/scholarship/service pattern (TSS) focuses on teaching with the requirement that the faculty member establish and maintains a research program and is involved in service to the Mount Royal community. The teaching service pattern (TS) has a focus on teaching and service only. The successful candidate for this position will be hired into the teaching/scholarship/service pattern (TSS). There is an option to change work patterns after tenure. The TSS  pattern typically requires faculty members to teach six three-credit three-hour classes per academic year. The average class is approximately 30 students.
Research and service opportunities may include supervision of research assistants or Honours students. The Office of Research, Scholarship and Community Engagement (ORSCE) provides support for research and scholarly activities.

Responsibilities

  *   Teaching courses in Film Studies;
  *   Hosting visiting filmmakers and film scholars;
  *   Fostering ties to film communities;
  *   Engaging with local, national, and international Film Studies and filmmaking organizations;
  *   Collaborating effectively with full-time and contract faculty members on curriculum re-development and educational innovation;
  *   Remaining current in areas of teaching responsibility;
  *   Contributing to program, university, and community service; and
  *   Participating in the General Education program.

Qualifications
A Ph.D. in Film Studies is required, as is an emerging or established body of scholarly work in Film Studies. The following would be considered assets: filmmaking experience, connections to film/digital storytelling communities, or additional areas of expertise relevant to our program.
The successful candidate must possess the ability to teach several undergraduate Film Studies courses currently offered in the Mount Royal University Calendar. There will also be the opportunity to develop new courses in one’s areas of expertise. In addition, any of the following would strengthen a candidate’s application:

  *   Successful previous post-secondary teaching experience in courses related to Film Studies;
  *   Experience in curriculum development (e.g., creating courses, lectures, learning activities, and assignments); and
  *   Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity and diversity awareness.

What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports and certifications for students, employees and the public.

How to Apply
 Interested applicants should submit the following materials:
1. A two-page cover letter that describes the candidate’s qualifications for this role as described above, interest in the position, and potential contributions to Mount Royal University.
2. Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
3. Teaching Portfolio that includes the following items, including
·   A statement of teaching philosophy, interests, and accomplishments (maximum 750 words)
·   A sample syllabus
·   Sample student evaluations and peer/chair teaching evaluations (if available)
4. Scholarly Activities Portfolio that includes the following items:
·   Statement of research interests/expertise (maximum 500 words);,
·   Sample publication and/or creative work (10-page sample work(s) published or in progress, and
·   Proposed scholarship plan for the upcoming 5-year period (maximum 750 words)
5. Academic reference letters are not required with the application, but candidates may be asked to provide up to three confidential references as the competition progresses.

Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found, however a review of applicants will begin March 31, 2024.  Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews are expected to occur in April 2024.

A complete dossier should be submitted including curriculum vitae, list of three (3) references, evidence of teaching excellence, and, if the teaching/ scholarship/ service (TSS) pattern is desirable, evidence of intent to pursue a research program. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Requisition Number], [Document].pdf (ex. Smith, 999999, CV.pdf).
For further information, contact Dr. Robert Boschman, Chair, Department of English, Languages, and Cultures at (403) 660-0216 or rboschman at mtroyal.ca<mailto:rboschman at mtroyal.ca>. Applicants are encouraged to review the film program information at https://www.mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourses/FacultiesSchoolsCentres/Arts/Departments/EnglishLanguagesCultures/FilmStudiesMinor/index.htm.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Recent Mount Royal graduates who are foreign nationals may be eligible to work on campus. Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website under Post-Graduation Employment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp.
If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please notify erecruiter at mtroyal.ca<mailto:erecruiter at mtroyal.ca> and we will work together on the accommodation request.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.

--
Richard Sutherland, PhD
Associate Professor