[acc-cca-l] Apply Now: MA in Communication Research for Social Change at SFU

Jason Congdon jason_congdon at sfu.ca
Thu Dec 8 12:18:01 MST 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear Communication Faculty, Students, and Colleagues,

We have added a new curriculum to our MA program. Please help us spread the word by sharing this announcement with students who may be interested in completing a project-based MA focused on Communication Research for Social Change<http://www.sfu.ca/communication/students/future-students/masters/communication-research-for-social-change.html>:
[https://media.campaigner.com/media/58/583800/email%20graphic.jpg?id=hrl9p1r]<http://www.sfu.ca/communication/students/future-students/masters/communication-research-for-social-change.html>

Apply Now: Master of Arts in Communication Research for Social Change<http://www.sfu.ca/communication/students/future-students/masters/communication-research-for-social-change.html>

SFU's School of Communication is excited to introduce a new 16-month, cohort-based Master of Arts curriculum focused on communication research for social change<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljr-by7heau9/>. Applications for studies beginning in September are due February 15, 2023.

MA applicants may now apply to pursue thesis-based training in academic communication research or project-based training in communication research for social change.

From the climate crisis to the rise of far-right ideologies and the unprecedented rise of social inequality, our world faces a number of urgent threats. Communication research for social change seeks to understand and confront these and problems and a range of others, often through collaboration with communities and progressive organizations.

The School of Communication’s tradition of critical and impactful research and teaching is one of its strengths and a unique feature of this curriculum. We define social change broadly and inclusively to encompass a wide variety of students and projects across a spectrum ranging from pragmatic projects to progressive and critical interventions to radical imaginaries. As activists, advocates, critics, practitioners, and professionals, students in the MA project stream will learn to apply critical theoretical and methodological approaches in research projects addressing real-world problems.

Students in this MA stream will take five courses over three terms and work closely with faculty supervisors who are experts in their fields to create their capstone projects. MA projects may entail a variety of media forms, including audio, apps, film and video, performance, print, social media, and web sites, among other forms. The program culminates with a symposium in which students present and discuss their project and its outcomes with their peers, supervisors, and others.

If you have any questions about the School of Communication’s MA Program, please email Jason Congdon, Graduate Program Coordinator, at gradcmns at sfu.ca<mailto:gradcmns at sfu.ca>.

MA Program<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljs-by7heau0/>

PhD Program<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljt-by7heau1/>

CMNS Faculty<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubplju-by7heau2/>

[Facebook]<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljv-by7heau3/>[Twitter]<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljw-by7heau4/>[Instagram]<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljx-by7heau5/>

Jason Congdon (he or they)
Graduate Program Coordinator | School of Communication

Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology | Simon Fraser University
Room K-9655 | 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
T: 778-782-3595 | sfu.ca/communication<http://www.sfu.ca/communication.html>

I respectfully acknowledge the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), q̓íc̓əy̓ (Katzie), kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem), Qayqayt, Kwantlen, Semiahmoo and Tsawwassen peoples on whose traditional territories SFU’s three campuses reside.

[https://trk.cp20.com/open/cigo-2lz546--by7heau4/img.gif]