[acc-cca-l] Spry Memorial Lecture 2021 - Desmond Cole, Tanya Talaga and Candis Callison - April 23

Digital Democracies Institute ddi_lab at sfu.ca
Thu Mar 25 11:29:45 MDT 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear all

We are delighted to announce panellists Desmond Cole and Tanya Talaga, moderator Candis Callison, and emcee Adel Iskander in the Spry Memorial Lecture 2021. Please see the link here for registration <https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-2021-spry-memorial-lecture-tickets-146505053559> to the Lecture on Friday, April 23rd, at noon PST.

The Spry Memorial Lecture has a long history of tackling key issues facing Canadian media and its role in the national conversation. For the 2021 event, Spry joins with Media Democracy Days and the Digital Democracies Institute to bring together leading figures in Canadian media in conversation about race, media and building democracy in Canada. Our panelists Desmond Cole and Tanya Talaga, along with moderator Candis Callison, will consider recent attention over the escalation of commentary on the representation of Indigenous, Black, and people of colour; the structural challenges that currently impede calls for greater diversity; and discuss how institutions and platforms can foster a more constructive dialogue. At a time when violent events internationally, nationally, and locally are making headlines on a frequent basis, the urgency of this panel is incontestable. Not to be missed!

Please share widely

[cid:33a84abe-2653-4064-b9b0-3a28f88ce148]

Amy Harris
Communications & Research Coordinator | Digital Democracies Institute | School of Communication
Simon Fraser University | TASC 2 Room 7807
8888 University Dr., Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6
| Website<https://digitaldemocracies.org/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/SFUDDG/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/sfu_ddg?lang=en>
At Simon Fraser University, we live and work on the unceded Traditional Coast Salish Lands of the səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish) and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nations.