[acc-cca-l] Kate Crawford - in conversation with Wendy Chun on April 7, about Kate's new book 'Atlas of AI'

Digital Democracies Institute ddi_lab at sfu.ca
Thu Mar 18 09:29:56 MDT 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear all

We are really thrilled to announce that registration is open for the book conversation between Kate Crawford and Wendy Chun, about Kate's new book, Atlas of AI: Power, Politics, and the Planetary Costs of Artificial Intelligence, released just the day before the event!

The virtual event hosted by the Digital Democracies Institute is on April 7th, at 3.30pm PST, and registration is through Eventbrite here<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/kate-crawford-atlas-of-ai-tickets-140422614821>. After registering, a link to the event will be emailed to you 24 hours before the event.  Details about the event are also on our website here<https://digitaldemocracies.org/events/>. Registrants will also receive a code for a 25% discount on the book when it is pre-ordered through Yale University Press.

Event Information:

Prof. Kate Crawford is a leading scholar who has spent the last decade studying the social and political implications of artificial intelligence. She holds the inaugural chair of AI and Justice at the École Normale Supérieure in Paris, is a senior principal researcher at MSR, and an Honorary Professor at the University of Sydney. Her new book, The Atlas of AI: Power, Politics, and the Planetary Costs of Artificial Intelligence (available here for pre-order) explores the hidden costs of artificial intelligence, from natural resources and energy to labor and data, and reveals how AI systems have saturated political life and depleted the planet.

She will be discussing the themes of her book with Wendy Chun. Wendy is Simon Fraser University’s Canada 150 Research Chair in New Media, and leads the Digital Democracies Institute where researchers investigate themes of mis- and disinformation, authenticity, and counterspeech, amongst many others. The conversation will be a wonderful opportunity to hear two leading academics discuss issues that are crucial to our time, with repercussions pertinent to our lives, both online and in our communities. Don’t miss it.

Please share the details widely!

[cid:0f39c913-9693-4cb8-ba5b-c39ae93463b3]

Amy Harris
Communications & Research Coordinator | Digital Democracies Institute | School of Communication
Simon Fraser University | TASC 2 Room 7807
8888 University Dr., Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6
| Website<https://digitaldemocracies.org/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/SFUDDG/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/sfu_ddg?lang=en>
At Simon Fraser University, we live and work on the unceded Traditional Coast Salish Lands of the səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish) and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nations.