[acc-cca-l] Call for Papers - Humanities Graduate Students' Association York University

Nanditha Narayanamoorthy nanditha at yorku.ca
Wed May 6 11:58:35 MDT 2020

Call for Papers* | Designing the Self—Humanities Graduate Students
Association York University  | Deadline: May 30*

Humans navigate personal and social relationships in the world through
self-definition. Human nature is a capacious concept; one that has been
challenged by diverse cultural revolutions in history. Today, as we stand
at the crossroads of the human and the digital, technologies force us to
reflect on how we view, create, and alter our selves through multiple
media. As we enter the age of new media, and algorithms, the
interpretations, perceptions, and representations of the self are
continuously altered, while our identities become more fragile multiple and
fluid.

Identities may be founded on varied cultural, biological, and physiological
markers, but are also a source and product of social engagement, shared
ideas, ideologies, and biases. Identities are both personal and social and
are in the eternal process of construction. Our gender, race, ethnicity,
sexual orientation, class, disability, religion, nation, and age
consistently intersect and interrupt our process of identity construction
in media including print, broadcast, and social media.

How does the forging of multi-layered, complex identities materialize in
traditional and new media? How does the cultural production of the self
occur in literature, television, music, blogs, or digital technologies? How
does the self break out of its essential boundaries through various
practices of writing, and how does it come to be represented? How does it
traverse the binaries of gender construction using technology? How does it
penetrate barriers towards an intersectional identity building? How are
bodies constructed differently in different media? How do masculinity and
femininity as concepts of gender identity manifest on platforms? How does
individual and collective identity building occur, and how does identity
construction enable the use of various media for community development and
social activism for communities?

Humanities as a discipline is always deeply reflective of the changing
world order and is consistently tasked with redefining the notions of the
self. We are keen to address this humanities framework in relation to
identity politics, representation, and embodiment of the self on various
media. To interrogate and investigate the complex relationships between
narratives of self-production, and identity formation in media, The
Department of Humanities invites abstract submissions for its annual
conference on the theme Designing the Self. We invite proposals for papers
from a variety of fields and perspectives that engage with issues
including, but not limited to:

   - How does cultural production of the self occur in various forms of
   media?
   - How does (dis)embodiment occur on social media?
   - How do representations of gender, masculinity, or femininity occur in
   media?
   - How is intersectional identity constructed, and how does gender
   intersect with class, race, disability, religion, nation, and age as other
   factors if identity building?
   - How can we rethink diversity, intersectionality, and identity politics
   in the age of technology?
   - How does identity construction vary in different cultures and
   historical traditions?

Our two-day graduate conference will address these and related topics. It
will be held virtually due to the COVID-19 situation. We welcome proposals
for 15-minute paper presentations. Those interested are invited to submit
an abstract of 250 words to  hugsaconf2020 at gmail.com by 30 May 2020.
Submissions must include the title of the paper, the author’s name,
affiliation, and contact information. Applications must be accompanied by a
short biography of 150 words.

For questions and inquiries, contact Nanditha Narayanamoorthy at
*nanditha at yorku.ca
<nanditha at yorku.ca>*.

Regards

Nanditha Narayanamoorthy
Ph.D. candidate in Humanities, York University, Canada
Co-President Humanities Graduate Student Association