[acc-cca-l] IAMCR Beijing postponed. Extraordinary CfP for IAMCR 2020 in Tampere

Bruce Girard bgirard at iamcr.org
Sun Feb 16 07:25:39 MST 2020

      IAMCR’s Beijing conference postponed; IAMCR 2020 to take place in
      Finland

The International Association for Media and Communication Research
(IAMCR) and our partners in China, Tsinghua University in Beijing and
XJTLU in Suzhou, have been working for more than a year to prepare IAMCR
2020 in Beijing in July 2020. The unfortunate and difficult situation
resulting from the coronavirus Covid-19 has forced us to reconsider our
plans and we have jointly agreed not to hold IAMCR 2020 in Beijing.

Nevertheless, given the effort that has already been expended to prepare
the conference, the significant opportunity and milestone that holding
IAMCR in China represents for both IAMCR and our Chinese partners, and
as a way of reinforcing our solidarity with Chinese scholars, IAMCR’s
Executive Board and International Council have invited Tsinghua and
XJTLU to host our conference in 2022.

IAMCR’s Executive Board and International Council have also accepted a
highly suitable offer to host the conference at Tampere University in
Tampere, Finland, for the same dates, 12-16 July 2020. Professor Kaarle
Nordenstreng, an IAMCR member since the 1960s, and his colleagues have
been able to move quickly to establish support for hosting the
conference and we thank them for their efforts. Tampere is well
established with excellent facilities and a good track record for
holding conferences.

The Tampere conference will maintain the same dates, the same theme,
even the same logo and many other elements already prepared for Beijing,
including for example, some of the plenary themes and speakers. Authors
who have submitted abstracts for the Beijing conference easily will be
able to have them considered for Tampere, and an extraordinary reopening
of the CfP will allow a brief window for authors who chose not to submit
for Beijing, to send abstracts for consideration for Tampere. Tampere
has also committed to ensuring that technical facilities are in place to
facilitate internet streaming of key sessions and video presentations
for authors unable to attend the conference.

      Extraordinary reopening of IAMCR 2020 call for papers

The change of venue from Beijing to Tampere is accompanied with an
extraordinary reopening of the IAMCR 2020 call for papers for authors
who did not submit to the Beijing conference but want their work
considered for Tampere.

IAMCR invites the submission of abstracts of papers and proposals for
panels for the 2020 conference of the association, which will be held
from 12 to 16 July, 2020 at Tampere University in Tampere. Submissions
for this extraordinary reopening will be accepted from Monday 17
February, 2020 until Monday 2 March 2020 at 23:59 UTC. Several of
IAMCR’s thematic sections and working groups also welcome submissions
for video presentations <https://tampere2020.iamcr.org/video>.

See the extraordinary call for papers on the conference website at
https://tampere2020.iamcr.org.

IAMCR Executive Board
Local Organizing Committee, IAMCR Beijing
Local Organizing Committee, IAMCR Tampere

--
Bruce Girard
Executive Director, IAMCR