[acc-cca-l] Rundle Summit 2020: Presentation proposal deadline extension!

Crystal Chokshi crystal.chokshi1 at ucalgary.ca
Mon Dec 2 09:58:35 MST 2019

Dear CCA colleagues, and especially grad students,

The Rundle Summit 2020<https://www.rundlesummit.ca/call-for-papers> call for presentations has been extended! Please consider submitting an abstract<https://www.rundlesummit.ca/call-for-papers> by December 9.

This year, we’re proud to be offering the Rundle Summit 2020 Prize for best presentation. This prize does not require you to write a paper but rather to give it your best when it’s your turn to talk.

Sincerely,

The Rundle Summit team

About The Rundle Summit: The Rundle Summit is a graduate-student-led conference that focuses on bringing together academic and professional perspectives on communication. The conference is sponsored jointly by the University of Calgary’s graduate program in Communication, Media and Film and the University of Alberta’s Master of Arts in Communications and Technology program. With these two hosts, the conference locates important intersections and divergences between theoretical and applied work. We welcome participants from across the world and from any relevant discipline to join our discussion.

**

Call for Presentations

Proposal submission deadline: December 9, 2019

Proposal decision notification: December 16, 2019

The theme for this year’s Rundle Summit is “Subduction,” a geological term that describes the phenomenon of one tectonic plate’s sinking beneath another into the Earth's mantle, creating novel geologic features. This slow process creates volcanoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis and, over time, can even build mountains. Similarly, clashes between ideas in media and communication scholarship may result in the sinking of some ideas and the surfacing of others. This conference invites scholarship that reflects on ideas as subduction: what conditions lead to a clash? When do we see some ideas sink and others rise? How is the falling away of one thing the potential creation of another? What conditions limit the subduction of ideas? These are just a few of the questions you might address.

​Rundle Summit welcomes proposals for a variety of formats:

  *   Lightning talks (abstract: 300 words) are succinct five-minute presentations, well-suited for introducing an idea or a work-in-progress. Lightning-talk presenters will benefit from extended Q&A in which their ideas will be workshopped.
  *   Long papers (abstract: 300 words) should be dynamic, 20-minute presentations. They can share a number of different things, such as research stories, reflections, challenges, or outcomes.
  *   Multi-speaker panels (abstract: 300 words) address intersections or tensions within a particular topic or field. Every panelist should submit an individual abstract and note the title of the panel presentation so that reviewers can clearly see the panel’s composition.
  *   Skills-sharing sessions (abstract: 300 words) are participant-led skills-development workshops and/or collaborative working groups focused on sharing knowledge about social-science tools and/or methodologies (e.g. teaching the basics of social-networking-analysis tool Gephi, or demystifying discourse analysis).

We also encourage proposals for alternative formats. When proposing a session, please include a description of the format in addition to the 300-word abstract.

​