[acc-cca-l] Making your work open access through your institutional repository

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Mon Sep 23 08:48:45 MDT 2019

greetings,

Most of us in the humanities and social sciences do not have funding to pay commercial publishers to make our work open access. However, there is another no-cost way to do this, one that I recommend, using our institutional repositories.

For example, if you are publishing with Taylor & Francis, you can use the Sherpa RoMEO list http://sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/ to find out the publishers' default policies on self-archiving, and it is often possible to negotiate authors' rights beyond the default (I've done this, e.g. negotiated two open access book chapters when publishing a traditional print book).

T &  F's default policy for SSH journals is to allow deposit of preprints (pre-refereeing version) and post-prints (your final version after peer review before publishers' final PDF), the latter with an 18-month embargo.

Two examples of how and why I use this approach:

My book chapter What counts in research? Dysfunction in knowledge creation & moving beyond is forthcoming in a traditional university press print book. When finally published, this will make a nice addition to my CV, but the work was substantially completed some time ago. In order to share the work in a timely fashion and make sure it is available to everyone in future (not just those who choose to buy the book), I made a copy available through my IR:
https://ruor.uottawa.ca/handle/10393/39088

The IR is also useful for us to share and receive credit for new types of works, such as this open peer review:
https://ruor.uottawa.ca/handle/10393/39053

One reason I use IRs rather than social networks such as Mendeley and SSRN is ownership and control and not knowing the business model. Both Mendeley and SSRN began as independent commercial companies, but have since been bought by Elsevier.

If you are at a Canadian university, your library probably has an IR and staff who can help you with deposit. The Directory of Open Access Repositories lists 87 repositories for Canada:
https://v2.sherpa.ac.uk/view/repository_by_country/ca.html

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison

Associate Professor, School of Information Studies, University of Ottawa

Professeur Agrégé, École des Sciences de l'Information, Université d'Ottawa

Principal Investigator, Sustaining the Knowledge Commons, a SSHRC Insight Project

sustainingknowledgecommons.org

Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca

https://uniweb.uottawa.ca/?lang=en#/members/706

[On research sabbatical July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020]