[acc-cca-l] Robotize this! The futures of automation and work. U of Toronto, October 3

Alessandro Delfanti a.delfanti at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 9 09:49:20 MDT 2019

Robotize this! The futures of automation and work
International Conference, Thursday October 3rd, 9AM to 6PM
McLuhan Centre for Culture and Technology  39A Queens Park Crescent East, University of Toronto

Are robots coming for our jobs? The current resurgence of anxiety around automation seems to suggest they are. But other symptoms point out that robots will rather make us work more, and in new ways. And then, what kind of jobs, and what kind of robots? The robotization of traditionally gendered and racialized forms of work is not neutral. And robots will better learn to collaborate with workers if capital is to keep extracting value from living labour. This international conference will discuss the past, present, and many possible futures of automation. This needs to be approached from many different angles. Our human speakers come from media studies, engineering, technology studies, literature, and labour studies. The day will be opened by an international graduate colloquium on digital labour. We will also pay a visit to robots and do our best to befriend them.

The workshop is a collaboration between the International Network on Digital Labor, which is funded by a University of Toronto – CNRS Joint Research Proposal Grant, and the McLuhan Centre for Culture and Technology.

Speakers and session chairs include:
Greg Albo, York University
Antonio Casilli, Paris School of Telecommunications
Alessandro Delfanti, University of Toronto
Jennifer Rhee, Virginia Commonwealth University
Shane Saunderson, University of Toronto
Frauke Zeller, Ryerson University
Paola Tubaro, CNRS Paris
Julie Chen, University of Toronto
Greig de Peuter, Wilfird Laurier University
Sarah Sharma, University of Toronto

The graduate colloquium will feature:
Sana Ahmad, Weizenbaum Institute
Marcelo Castro, University of Toronto