[Chacmool-l] Topic proposals for the 2013 Chacmool Conference

Sheila Lacey smlacey at ucalgary.ca
Thu Nov 1 13:14:47 MDT 2012

Hey Chacmoolians!

Topic proposals for the 2013 Chacmool conference are due Friday November 9th!

There are 3 parts to submitting a proposal:

1) Pick a Theme! If it has a catchy name, all the better!

Here are some examples from the past:

- Eat, Drink, and Be Merry: The Archaeology of Foodways
- Archaeology in the new Millennium: Public or Perish
- Art for Archaeology's Sake
- Climates of Change: The Shifting Environment of Archaeology

In picking your theme, remember that it should be something that will
allow a wide variety of researchers to get involved.

2) Description of Event
- Explain the theme and why it is important to archaeology
- List possible plenary and keynote speakers
- List possible session topics

3) Signatures of 7 people committed to organizing/planning the conference
 - Conference chair (undergraduate student)
- 2 undergraduate students, as part of the conference executive
- 2 faculty members (professors), for help/guidance
- 2 graduate students, for help/guidance

To submit your proposal, you can email it to chacmool at ucalgary.ca, drop it
in our mailbox by the main office, or give it to us in person at ES 859.
It should be two pages total (1 page theme and description, 1 page of
signatures).

The proposals will be available at the Department Reception next Friday,
November 9th in ES 859 for people to take a look at, and vote on their
favourite one!

Being involved in the organization committee is a great way to get
involved!  It looks fabulous on a resume, and is a great way to meet
students and scholars from all over the world.  We also always get a lot
of support from the local CRM companies, which is a great way to get your
name out there and make some connections in the local industry.  Its
extremely rewarding to be part of something like this, and we'd like to
encourage everyone to get involved!

If you have any questions about submitting a proposal, or the type of work
getting involved entails, please do not hesitate to send us an email, or
drop by the office (ES 826).

~Chacmool