[Chacmool-l] Welcome back (and what's ahead)

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 16 23:31:40 MDT 2011

Welcome back Chacmoolians!

We hope you’re all settling comfortably back into the classroom routine,
and looking forward to a great semester ahead. We have grand plans for the
upcoming year, and hope to get everyone out and involved in a plethora of
archaeology-related (sometimes somewhat flimsily) events and activities.
After giving you a nice week to get back into the swing of things, we’re
here to welcome you back to the archaeology community here at the U of C.

This coming Wednesday (September 21), in ES 162 the ASA will be presenting
Dr. Nancy Lovell from the University of Alberta and her talk “Deviant
Burial in the Archaeological Record”. The talk begins at 7:30 PM, and
refreshments will be provided courtesy of the ASA.

The noon hour lectures are back again, and the semester begins with Dr.
Nic David presenting “The Archaeology of the Intangible: Monumentality in
Cameroon” which will be held on Wednesday, September 21 at noon (turns out
the title “Noon Hour Lectures” wasn’t just a coincidence!) in ES 859. As
always, we’re on the lookout for volunteers to help out by bringing some
tasty treats for everyone. Sign-up sheets will be posted outside of the
Chacmool office (ES 826).

The club website is up and running again, complete with our newly updated
office hours; but keep a close eye on it, as it will quickly be our go-to
posterboard for upcoming events, talks, special offers, etc.

And on the topics of events: the Annual Chacmool Wine and Cheese event is
back again! Join us on Friday, September 30th in room ES 859 at 7:00 PM –
10:00 PM and partake in a friendly, casual meet and greet with fellow
archaeology students, undergrad and grad alike. And as a special welcome
back to all of you with Chacmool memberships: your first glass of wine is
on us!

Clubs week is on us again, and there is no better time to renew your
membership. Come drop by our booth in Mac Hall and say hi, get to know the
new executives, and find out what’s on the roster for the coming year.
The annual Chacmool Archaeological Conference is on the horizon once
again, and this year’s focus is “Climates of Change”. As ever, the
conference promises to be a blast, with academics coming from all over the
world to present the latest in archaeological research and to share their
ideas; a wonderful place to learn and connect, and to become a part of the
archaeological community.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has put out
a call for posters for their poster competition. Information can be found
directly on their website at
http://www.aaas.org/meetings/2012/program/posters/#student. The cut-off
date is 11:59 p.m. PT, 24 October 2011.

That’s all for now, but keep a weather eye on the website, and you’ll be
hearing from us soon enough. Feel free to drop by our office (ES 826) and
say hi, and we hope to see you at the Wine and Cheese. Best of luck in the
coming semester!

~Chacmool Archaeology Association