[Chacmool-l] October 24, 2011

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Mon Oct 24 22:31:18 MDT 2011

Hello fellow Chacmoolians,

The semester drives on, but despair not, for much archaeological goodness
is on the horizon!

Chacmool's first Movie Night begins this week, and we're starting off with
the famous Jurassic Park (to allow further confusion between us and
paleontologists). The movie begins this Thursday (October 27th) in ES 859
at 7:30 PM, and pizza and pop will be on us for any Chacmool members.

For the squash players among you, or those who are interested in something
a bit more active with fellow archaeologists, why not drop by the squash
courts at the university on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday morning from 10 -
11 and work out some of those midterm frustrations? Whether you're a
seasoned veteran of the sport, or have never touched a racket before in
your life, all are welcome to come out and give it a try in a friendly
atmosphere. Want to test your skills with something to shoot for? Good
news! Come late March/early April Chacmool will be hosting a squash
tournament, and there will be prizes. Details will be forthcoming as soon
as they are finalized, but until then please feel free to email us any
questions about coming out and playing some squash.

The noon hour lecture this week will be Cara Tremain's talk: "One small
loot for man, one giant loot for mankind: illegal excavation in ancient
Maya architecture". As per the norm it will be held this Wednesday in Es
859 at 12:00, and coffee and snacks will be provided.

On November 5th the university is hosting an Open House for prospective
students, and Dr. Richard Callaghan (Undergraduate Advisor for the
Archaeology Department) is looking for any volunteers who would be willing
to come out and help represent our department. Prospective students often
find it more comfortable to talk to students rather than the more
intimidating professors, and so we're just looking for anyone who would
like to spend some time talking about our archaeology at the U of C to
those who might be curious. If you're interested please contact Dr.
Callaghan: rcallagh at ucalgary.ca

Also on the agenda for next week is the next Beer & Wings night. Wednesday
November 2nd (that's next Wednesday, not this Wednesday) we will again be
giving out free beer and free wings to the first few Chacmool members who
drop by the Den at 6:30 for a purely social activity.

As November approaches, so too does the great Chacmool Archaeology
Conference, organized and run by undergraduate students from the U of C,
and bringing in archaeologists and research from around the globe. This
year's conference, "Climates of Change" will be held on November 8th to
the 12th, so don't miss this wonderful opportunity to see the latest work
in archaeology presented by some of the most accomplished men and women of
the discipline. Details can be found at the conference's website:
arky.ucalgary.ca/chacmool2011/

Finally, one little request from the executives of Chacmool: is there
anyone knowledgeable of the ways of website design/maintenance who would
be willing to drop by our office (ES 826) and help us out with some issues
we've been having with our website? It would be very much appreciated.

Chacmool Archaeology Association

www.ucalgary.ca/~chacmool