[Chacmool-l] Friday, November 18th

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Thu Nov 17 22:46:17 MST 2011

Greetings Chacmoolians,

1 – Conference Epilogue
2 – Jordan Field School
3 – New Chacmool Publication
4 – Osteology Workshop
5 – Gingerbread Contest (ARKY style)

1) The Chacmool Conference has come and gone again, and this year was a
fantastic success. For those of you who missed it: my sympathies, you
truly missed out. For all of those who came, I hope you all enjoyed it as
much as we did, and I hope you’ll join us again for next year’s conference
(theme yet to be determined). For those of you who volunteered, my sincere
thanks, you helped make it all come together. And finally, for those who
helped organize everything: great work!

2) Interested in participating in a Bronze and Iron Age archaeological
excavation in Jordan this coming summer?  Come to the second orientation
meeting - to be held at Mount Royal University, on Tuesday November 29th
from 5-6 PM in the Anthropology Lab (B280). The Lab is located at the very
end of the B or Science Wing off of the main campus building (near the
east gate entrance). This Madaba Plains Project (check out the website for
details -> http://www.madabaplains.org/umayri/) runs from mid/late June
until early August. You can participate as a volunteer or as a credit
student (for 3 or for 6 weeks). As a 6 week credit student, you will
register for MRU's ANTH 2291, which is directly transferable to ARKY 306
at the UCalgary.

3) A new Chacmool publication has been printed from the "It’s Good to be
King" conference. This volume consists of 24 papers drawn from those
presented at the 41st Annual Chacmool Conference. The theme revolved
around the notion of power and authority as viewed in the archaeological
record. The volume is $30 print, and $15 for the cd.

4) For those of you who might be interested in osteological work
(specifically analysis of migratory paleo-populations), an opportunity has
arisen to participate in a study of the Bronze Age Noua Culture of
Transylvania. There will be two workshop sessions: June 3rd – June 30th,
and July 1st – July 28th. For more information, including how to get in
touch with the organizer, visit the project website:
http://www.archaeotek.org/bronze_age_osteology_workshop

5) We have two Chacmool events for the weeks to come. The first in our
monthly Movie Night, held this coming Thursday, November 24th in ES 859.
The second is a new event for us all, but one we’re all very excited
about: the first Chacmool Gingerbread Monumental Architecture Competition!
Unsatisfied with conventional gingerbread houses, we’re raising the bar to
include everything from mini-Tikal to mini-Stonehenge. There will be
prizes for the winning team (oh yes, we’re allowing teams), and that’s on
top of being able to create and consume whatever great ancient site
inspires you most. Hope to see you there!

Until next time, Chacmool away!

CHACMOOL ARCHAEOLOGY ASSOCIATION