[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic Seminar

Benjamin MacAdam benjamin.macadam at ucalgary.ca
Thu May 28 12:21:58 MDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to Richard Zach, we have a new URL for the peripatetic seminar website: logic.ucalgary.ca.

Speaker: Robin Cockett

Date: May 29, 2020

Time: 13:00-14:15

Location: Zoom (email benjamin dot macadam at ucalgary for details).

Title:A first introduction to Clifford algebras

Abstract: William Kingdon Clifford (1845-78) died of tuberculosis when he was still young: he was a professor of Mathematic and Mechanics at University College, London.  His work on  “geometrical algebra” foreshadowed the theory of general relativity.  Almost a century later David Hestenes used Clifford’s ideas to develop “space-time algebra”: these ideas are still being actively developed as a basis for physics.

The talk is going to start with a very basic mathematical first introduction to “geometrical algebra”.  Applications to physics are reached by considering Clifford’s geometrical algebras in the context of tangent categories and (hopefully) I will end on some remarks in this direction.

Zoom invite:

Topic: Peripatetic Seminar
Time: May 29, 2020 01:00 PM Edmonton

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucalgary.zoom.us/j/93415508925

Meeting ID: 934 1550 8925
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,93415508925# US (Houston)
+16465588656,,93415508925# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)