[Alta-Logic] Re: [Vendler-group-l] Peripatetic Seminar Wednesday

John Baker baker at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jan 13 15:08:28 MST 2016

My regrets. I am teaching at that time.

John

On Jan 12, 2016, at 8:47 AM, Richard Zach <rzach at ucalgary.ca<mailto:rzach at ucalgary.ca>> wrote:

Wednesday January 13, 4pm

1253 SS

https://ucalgary.ca/logic/event/2016-01-13/principled-demarcations-logicality-and-permutation-invariance-criterion

Samara Burns (Philosophy)

In logic we can distinguish (at least) two demarcation problems. First, there is the problem of demarcating the realm of logic. Second, and often related, is the problem of demarcating the logical operators. It is often said that a good demarcation should be principled. This requires determining some criterion (or a set of criteria) by which we can give an answer to one, or both of the demarcation problems. This criterion is not meant to be a simple codification of informal intuitions about logicality; it should be substantive. Proponents of the permutation invariance criterion argue that the logical operators are those that are invariant up to isomorphism. The mathematical precision of permutation invariance makes it a viable candidate for a principled demarcation. I will argue that permutation invariance fails to be principled demarcation, as it can be reduced to a mere systematization of intuitions.

--
Richard Zach ...... http://www.ucalgary.ca/rzach/
Professor,             Department  of  Philosophy

E-mail: vendler-group-L at mailman.ucalgary.ca

John A. Baker, D.Phil.,
Department of Philosophy,
University of Calgary,
Calgary, Alberta,
Canada
T2N 1N4
 E-mail: baker at ucalgary.ca<mailto:baker at ucalgary.ca>
 Tel (Philosophy Dept): (403) 220-3167
 Fax (Philosophy Dept): (403) 289-5698

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information.  Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it.  Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.