[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic Seminar Wednesday

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jan 12 08:47:22 MST 2016

Wednesday January 13, 4pm

1253 SS

https://ucalgary.ca/logic/event/2016-01-13/principled-demarcations-logicality-and-permutation-invariance-criterion

Samara Burns (Philosophy)

In logic we can distinguish (at least) two demarcation problems. First,
there is the problem of demarcating the realm of logic. Second, and
often related, is the problem of demarcating the logical operators. It
is often said that a good demarcation should be principled. This
requires determining some criterion (or a set of criteria) by which we
can give an answer to one, or both of the demarcation problems. This
criterion is not meant to be a simple codification of informal
intuitions about logicality; it should be substantive. Proponents of the
permutation invariance criterion argue that the logical operators are
those that are invariant up to isomorphism. The mathematical precision
of permutation invariance makes it a viable candidate for a principled
demarcation. I will argue that permutation invariance fails to be
principled demarcation, as it can be reduced to a mere systematization
of intuitions.

--
Richard Zach ...... http://www.ucalgary.ca/rzach/
Professor,             Department  of  Philosophy