[Alta-Logic] Series on T-monoids and 2-dimensional category theory

gscruttw at ucalgary.ca gscruttw at ucalgary.ca
Mon Nov 23 13:36:37 MST 2009

This Wednesday, Nov. 25, I'll be starting a series of talks.  The goal is
to get to a result of Mike Schulman's and I on how a great number of
mathematical objects can be constructed in the same way, by using the
"construction of T-monoids".  Examples of such constructed objects include
topological spaces, metric spaces, rings, algebras, enriched categories,
internal categories, and "generalized multicategories".

The talks are also, however, an introduction to 2-dimensional category
theory: the use of 2-categories, bicategories, and double categories.  The
hope is that only knowledge of basic category theory will be needed to
follow the talks.

The series will consist of:
I: Enriched Categories, Internal Categories, and 2-categories
II: Double Categories and the "Monoids and Modules" Construction
III: Virtual Double Categories and the "T-monoids and modules" construction

The talks will be on Wednesdays, 12-1pm.  The first one will be in ICT
616, this Wednesday Nov. 25.

- Geoff Cruttwell