[acc-cca-l] New Report: Northern Lights and Silicon Dreams: AI Governance in Canada (2011-2022)

Fenwick Mckelvey fenwick.mckelvey at concordia.ca
Thu Apr 11 11:55:35 MDT 2024

[△EXTERNAL]

I’m pleased to announce the publication of the second Shaping AI Report on AI Governance in Canada (2011-2022), based on research coordinated by Dr. Sophie Toupin and myself.

Read the report here: https://www.amo-oma.ca/en/ai-policy-report/

You can read more in a co-published piece with Joanna Redden today in the Conversation:  https://theconversation.com/the-federal-governments-proposed-ai-legislation-misses-the-mark-on-protecting-canadians-227186

Our key findings:

  1.  Canadian AI governance focuses on economic and industrial policy. National symbolic investment in AI dampens critical discussion about the technology and its risks.
  2.  AI governance is uncoordinated and lacks clear mandates for consultation and effective mechanisms of feedback, which impedes good governance and public participation.
  3.  AI policy is marked by notable silences on key issues, including Indigenous rights and data sovereignty, the creative and cultural sectors, and the environmental impact of AI.
  4.  The Government of Canada is a key site of AI development and deployment that remains understudied in current legislation.

The chapters cover a range of topics, including:

  *   the Canadian government’s algorithmic impact assessment
  *   ethics and federal AI procurement
  *   public consultations on the use of facial recognition technologies
  *   the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research’s involvement in AI research and policy
  *   the use of racially biased AI technology in Canada’s immigration system
Highlighting the need to improve consultation and public participation in AI governance, the report questions the assumptions behind the development of the Artificial Intelligence and Data Act and its inclusion in Bill C-27. AIDA’s passage raises larger concerns about digital policy development and governance, accountability, and oversight in Canada.

Shaping AI<https://shapingai.org> is part of a multinational and multidisciplinary social research project that examines the global trajectories of public discourse on AI in four countries (Germany, UK, Canada, and France) over a ten-year period, 2012-2021. Funded by the European Open Research Area, Shaping AI brings together leading research teams from each of the four countries under scrutiny.

Be good,
Fenwick McKelvey (he/il)

I do not reply to emails on Tuesday and Wednesday’s morning. Please expect some delay in my response time.

https://fenwickmckelvey.com
fenwick at mastodon.social<mailto:fenwick at mastodon.social>

Coordinator, Machine Agencies – https://machineagencies.milieux.ca
Co-Director, Applied AI Institute - https://www.concordia.ca/research/applied-ai-institute.html
MA Director, Communication Studies

--

I acknowledge that Concordia University is located on unceded Indigenous lands. The Kanien’kehá:ka Nation is recognized as the custodians of the lands and waters we now call Montreal. Tiohtiá:ke (Montreal) is historically known as a gathering place for many First Nations. Today, it is home to a diverse population of Indigenous and other peoples. We respect the continued connections with the past, present and future in our ongoing relationships with Indigenous and other peoples within the Montreal community.

Je reconnais que l’Université Concordia est située en territoire autochtone non cédé et que la nation Kanien’kehá:ka est la gardienne des terres et des eaux formant aujourd’hui Montréal. Le nom d’origine de ce territoire est Tiohtiá:ke. Celui-ci est historiquement connu comme un lieu de rassemblement pour de nombreuses Premières Nations. Aujourd’hui, la ville accueille une population diversifiée d’Autochtones et de gens d’autres origines. L’Université Concordia respecte les liens passés, actuels et futurs des Premières Nations avec ces terres et en tient compte dans ses relations continues avec les Autochtones et les autres membres de la communauté montréalaise.