[acc-cca-l] AoIR 2024 CfP: Towards another Internet

Jess Rauchberg jess.rauchberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:00:22 MST 2024

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting, I’d like to share a call for an AoIR 2024 experimental session proposal, “Towards another Internet: Sustaining feminist, crip, queer, and fat digital worldmaking.”

We are looking for more panelists to join an exciting and necessary conversation that imagines the possibilities of Internet industries and infrastructures that embody non-normativity and depart from the reproduction of marginalization and material violence. Are there *actual* possibilities for radical politics and potentials in light of Big Tech’s normalizing structures and its compliances with state security and surveillance? Internet industries currently benefit from and propagate the sustaining of ideological oppressions. What would it mean to exist, play, and share information on an Internet that did not reinforce identitarian politics?

Panelists will prepare a brief (~5-7 minute) presentation or performance on a keyword that plays with the potentialities of crip, fat, feminist, and queer digital worldmaking. Confirmed panelists are presenting on the following keywords: Desire, doomscrolling, shitposting.

Proposals to panel organizers are due Monday, 26 February (End of Day, your local time). Please send to jess.rauchberg at gmail.com<mailto:jess.rauchberg at gmail.com>.

Proposals should include:

  *   Name and affiliation

  *   A keyword pitch. Please include a few sentences that articulate how you’d like to discuss the keyword in the session.

Potential keywords may include, but are not limited to:

Avatars

Biopolitics

Bodies

Chronically online

Creator

Deepfakes

Disinformation

Dismediation

Economies

Generative Artificial Intelligence

Glitches

Labour

Memes

Muting/blocking

Online activism

Privacy

(Remote) Access

Reproduction

Selfie

Surveillance

Vibes

Visibility

Please share amongst your individual networks! We are also happy to address any queries you have regarding participation.

With care,

Jess Rauchberg, Ph.D. (Seton Hall University)

Amy Gaeta, Ph.D. (University of Cambridge)

--
Jess Rauchberg, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Communication Technologies