[acc-cca-l] CFP: CCA pre conference, June 16-17, on engaged journalism

Magda Konieczna magda.konieczna at concordia.ca
Fri Feb 2 13:31:40 MST 2024

[△EXTERNAL]

La version française suit

CFP: Engaging in/with communities: how journalists do this now, how it’s evolving, and what scholars can learn/contribute

CCA 2024 pre-conference

Where: Montreal

When: June 16-17, 2024

Who: Gabrielle Brassard-Lecours, journalist, co-founder of Pivot, and Magda Konieczna, associate professor of journalism at Concordia University

Submission deadline: Feb. 29

What: We are delighted to welcome expressions of interest to “Engaging in/with communities: how journalists do this now, how it’s evolving, and what scholars can learn/contribute.” The purpose of this meeting is to bring together scholars, journalists, and others working in the area of developing a more engaged journalism in Canada to see what we can learn from each other. By engaged journalism, we mean journalism that aims to build audience engagement with content (Batsell, Engaged Journalism, 2015), but also journalism that works to create relational engagement with communities (Robinson, How Journalists Engage, 2023) — as well as all the other ways in which journalists have been innovating around these questions.

In this meeting, we hope to learn from journalists about what they’re doing, and what direction they expect this movement to take in Montreal and in Canada. We also hope to discuss what questions scholars have addressed that could help journalists with this work, and what questions journalists have that they hope scholars could take on. Finally, we hope to bring in community members, funders and other stakeholders interested in the role that journalism does and could play in our democracy.

The event will begin with a social gathering in a central location in Montreal on the evening of June 16. We will spend all day on June 17 on Concordia University’s downtown campus discussing and learning from each other on this topic. Details and schedule to come.

To participate, please fill out this expression of interest<https://forms.gle/vvBVJspxsXbJD5o97>. We will use participants’ answers to design the structure of the day.

With any questions, feel free to contact Magda Konieczna at magda.konieczna at concordia.ca<mailto:magda.konieczna at concordia.ca>, or Gabrielle Brassard-Lecours at gabriellebrassardl at gmail.com<mailto:gabriellebrassardl at gmail.com>.

---

CFP : L’engagement communautaire : comment les journalistes le font, comment il évolue et comment les académiques peuvent y contribuer et apprendre de ces pratiques

Pré-conférence CCA 2024

Où : Montréal

Quand : Les 16 et 17 juin