[acc-cca-l] Call for applications: MA & PhD programs @ SFU School of Communication

Jason Congdon jason_congdon at sfu.ca
Mon Dec 4 15:11:31 MST 2023

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear Communication Faculty, Staff, and Students:

Please consider circulating this call for applications to undergraduate and master’s-level students who may be interested in considering one of our graduate programs!
[https://media.campaigner.com/media/58/583800/email%20graphic.jpg?id=hrl9p1r]

Call for MA & PhD applications:
Simon Fraser University School of Communication

Simon Fraser University’s School of Communication welcomes applications to our MA and PhD programs for studies commencing in September 2024.

In addition to our venerable PhD program<https://www.sfu.ca/communication/students/future-students/phd.html>, we offer two distinctive MA curricula: our two-year thesis-based MA program<https://www.sfu.ca/communication/students/future-students/masters.html> trains students in academic communication research and our 16-month, project-based curriculum teaches communication research for social change<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljr-by7heau9/>.

The School’s PhD program admits a small number of talented researchers each year to work closely with our faculty while undertaking rigorous training in the critical foundation of communication theory, political economy, policy, the study of culture and media, and technology and data studies.

MA applicants have the option to pursue thesis-based training in academic communication research or project-based training in communication research for social change.

Students in our thesis-based curriculum normally take four courses over two terms and conduct research leading to the MA thesis.

Students in our communication research for social change curriculum work closely with faculty to produce projects aimed at understanding and confronting pressing social problems, often through collaboration with communities and progressive organizations. MA projects may entail a variety of media forms, including audio, apps, film and video, performance, print, social media, and web sites, among other forms. The program culminates with a symposium in which students present and discuss their project and its outcomes with their peers, supervisors, and others.

The School of Communication celebrates its 50th anniversary this year<https://www.sfu.ca/communication/upcoming-events/cmns-50th-anniversary.html>; our legacy of critical and impactful research and teaching is one of our ongoing strengths and a defining feature of our graduate programs.

Applications to our PhD program are due by January 9, 2024.

Applications to our MA program are due February 15, 2024.

If you have any questions about the School of Communication’s graduate programs, please email Jason Congdon, Graduate Program Coordinator, at gradcmns at sfu.ca<mailto:gradcmns at sfu.ca>.

MA Program<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljs-by7heau0/>

PhD Program<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljt-by7heau1/>

CMNS Faculty<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubplju-by7heau2/>

[Facebook]<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljv-by7heau3/>[Twitter]<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljw-by7heau4/>[Instagram]<https://trk.cp20.com/click/cigo-2lz546-ubpljx-by7heau5/>
Kind regards,

Jason Congdon (he or they)
Graduate Program Coordinator | School of Communication

Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology | Simon Fraser University
Room K-9655 | 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
T: 778-782-3595 | sfu.ca/communication<http://www.sfu.ca/communication.html>

I respectfully acknowledge the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), q̓íc̓əy̓ (Katzie), kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem), Qayqayt, Kwantlen, Semiahmoo and Tsawwassen peoples on whose traditional territories SFU’s three campuses reside.

[https://trk.cp20.com/open/cigo-2lz546--by7heau4/img.gif]