[acc-cca-l] Seeking panelist - CCA 2024 Conference

Judith Nicholson jnicholson at wlu.ca
Wed Nov 15 08:21:26 MST 2023

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear CCA members,

My colleague, Dr. Sara Matthews, and I are seeking an additional panelist for a panel proposal on the theme of Vehicular Violence in Canada. See our draft proposal below. Please contact me if you’re interested in joining the panel.

 ---

This panel centres vehicular violence in Canada and how it is implicated in the white settler project of nation building. Drawing on case studies (X, X, and X TBD), the panel explores the politics of mobility that enable the conditions for vehicular violence. This includes the racialization and masculinization of mobility in conjunction with settler colonialism and racial capitalism, and a common-sense acceptance of pedestrian fatalities as exchange for freedoms associated with vehicular mobility and its colonization of space through the infrastructure of the road. Following Stuesse and Coleman (2014), we argue that paying attention to “place-based mobilities” is crucial for understanding how “race, class, gender, nationality, and sexuality underwrite a widespread condition of not being able to move freely, or perhaps at all” (56).

Best,

Judith, jnicholson at wlu.ca<mailto:jnicholson at wlu.ca>

Judith Nicholson, PhD
Associate Professor
Communication Studies
---
Laurier is located on traditional territory of the Neutral/Attawandaron, Anishnawbe and Haudenosaunne peoples.