[acc-cca-l] Invitation to Participate in CCA–RISN Event Planning - Your Input Needed

Sibo Chen sibo.chen at torontomu.ca
Fri Oct 13 10:21:40 MDT 2023

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear CCA colleagues,

I hope this email finds you well. This is Sibo Chen from Professional Communication, Toronto Metro U. I am writing to you as the chair of the Racialized and Indigenous Scholars Network (RISN) for CCA, 2023-2024. The network was founded last year and we welcome everyone to join us in discussing issues and scholarships related to RISN.

RISN's Mission, as stated in its government document, is to "foster community among racialized and Indigenous communication scholars; to promote their work, including marginalized objects, frameworks, and epistemologies, within the field of Canadian communication studies; and to support racialized and Indigenous students and early career researchers in navigating the CCA, the discipline, the profession, and their home institutions."

I would like to express my gratitude to Dr. Benjamin Woo (Carleton) for his remarkable efforts in establishing the network and leading the previous year’s RISN activities. I look forward to assuming this role and working closely with all of you in the academic year 23-24.

In line with RISN's Mission, I am proposing the following events for the academic year 2023-2024:

1. 1-2 RISN virtual events before the CCA annual conference (formats to be decided, could be workshops, panel discussions, etc.)
2. A panel discussion at the CCA conference in Montreal.
3. A networking event at the CCA conference in Montreal.

To ensure we plan these events effectively, I would like to schedule a quick online meeting consulting with existing and new RISN members during the week of October 23rd to October 29th. To accommodate everyone's schedules, I have created a Doodle poll where you can specify your preferred time slots.

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/e099kWXa

I kindly request you to fill out the poll by Wednesday, October 18th. Based on the results, I will schedule two quick online meetings (you can join either one of them) for RISN members to join and contribute to our discussions.

I look forward to your participation as we shape our agenda for the upcoming academic year.

Best Regards,
Sibo Chen
Chair of the Racialized and Indigenous Scholars Network, 23-24

---
Sibo Chen (he/him)
Assistant Professor & Graduate Program Director
School of Professional Communication
Toronto Metropolitan University (Formerly Ryerson University)

We acknowledge that Toronto is in the 'Dish With One Spoon Territory’. The Dish With One Spoon is a treaty between the Anishinaabe, Mississaugas and Haudenosaunee that bound them to share the territory and protect the land. Subsequent Indigenous Nations and peoples, Europeans and all newcomers have been invited into this treaty in the spirit of peace, friendship and respect.