[acc-cca-l] CCA and X/Twitter Presence

Ray op'tLand rmoptlan at ucalgary.ca
Tue Sep 5 14:50:14 MDT 2023

Hi all,

I was checking on some RSS feeds the other day, making some updates, and
I noticed that both the CCA and CJoC still have Twitter links in their
contact info on the webpages.

Given recent events, and the comments made by the current owner about
the ADL, my only question is: why?

Why stick around and participate, and provide any legitimacy to this
endeavour any further?

I understand that it is the start of the semester, and there are other
tasks that we all must attend to other than updating webpages, but it
seems like a relatively quick fix.

Relocating the social media contact to another venue, either an open
platform like Mastodon or other server using the ActivityPub protocol,
or Bluesky or Threads if a corporate walled garden approach is prefered,
but those are not without similar issues to the app formerly known as
Twitter.

This goes doubly so for academics still on the platform as well. I can
understand maintaining a name that you had already established to
prevent identity theft, or to use it to log in to view messages and
research after the API changes made the archives inaccessible, but
beyond that, how can active participation on the platform continue to be
justified?

I'm posting this to the listserv in hopes of fostering a public
discussion, and/or awareness and reflection.

Respectfully,

Ray op'tLand, PhD
rmoptlan at ucalgary.ca<mailto:rmoptlan at ucalgary.ca>