[acc-cca-l] 10 Years of Lantern | August fundraiser | Pre-launch of Canadian issues in Media History Digital Library

Paul Moore psmoore at torontomu.ca
Thu Aug 17 08:46:40 MDT 2023

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear colleagues / chères collègues,

During August 2023, the Media History Digital Library<https://mediahistoryproject.org/>, directed by Dr. Eric Hoyt and hosted by the University of Wisconsin, is holding a fundraising drive to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the launch of the Lantern<https://lantern.mediahist.org/> media history search engine. An update on Canadian periodicals in Lantern, below!

The Media History Digital Library (MHDL) catalog currently includes 2,866,284 pages of digitized books and magazines from the histories of film, broadcasting, and recorded sound. All free and open access. All ethically and legally sourced, scanned from the public domain or included with permission of the rights holder.

Support Lantern<https://www.supportuw.org/giveto/mediahistory>

As a non-profit initiative, your support is what enables us to keep building our collections. Please consider making a donation<https://www.supportuw.org/giveto/mediahistory> to support the Media History Digital Library. Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, all contributions made in August 2023 will be matched 1-to-1. If you contribute $100, we'll receive $200 to help us continue scanning magazines and developing new ways to search, visualize, and explore the MHDL.

You will notice some Canadian film industry magazines have recently been added to Lantern MHDL and the Internet Archive in just the past month. We are working to gradually add a more complete range of historic Canadian and québecois film, radio, and broadcasting periodicals. This effort is part of a Global task force to expand the MHDL. A great deal of material from China, France, Germany, India, Iran, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom<https://mediahistoryproject.org/collections/global-cinema/> have already been added. Actions are underway to add Canada to that list, to extract our national history from within its current presence in Lantern embedded within US trade journals.

I will circulate a future announcement when we have reached a critical mass of Canadian materials with curated descriptions (et j'espère aussi des journaux français et des descriptions bilangue). In the meantime, preliminary issues of Canadian Moving Picture Digest<https://mediahist.org/features/publications-volumes.php?id=Canadian%20Moving%20Picture%20Digest>, Canadian Film Weekly<https://archive.org/search?query=%22Canadian+Film+Weekly%22> and Year Book<https://archive.org/search?query=%22Canadian+Film+Weekly+Year+Book%22>, and Famous Players' What's New?<https://mediahist.org/features/publications-volumes.php?id=What%27s%20New?> and Famous News<https://mediahist.org/features/publications-volumes.php?id=Famous%20News> represent an early upload of over 130 first items.

These first issues were contributed by Greig Dymond in memory of his brother, David Dymond, an avid collector of Canadian film business materials and a life-long theatre manager and showman<https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/things-to-do/downtown-landmark-to-get-facelift-inside-and-out/article_544f1be4-9ba4-56ee-a4b2-346338f98ec1.html?>. Thanks to Dr. Jessica Whitehead for working with Greig over the past few years to ensure these materials will be digitized and then archived. Future contributions will arrive in collaboration with the Canadian Picture Pioneers and Deborah Tiffin, final owner and publisher of Film Canada Yearbook (and inheritor of a lineage of Canadian film business publications that spanned from 1915 to 2007).

If you possess personal copies of historical Canadian media periodicals, please you are welcome to contact me if you'd like to discuss options and logistics for contributing to the Internet Archive and the Media History Digital Library.

My thanks, your colleague,
Paul Moore

***

Paul S. Moore, Professor
BA Undergraduate Program Director
Department of Sociology, Faculty of Arts
Graduate Program in Communication & Culture
Email: psmoore at torontomu.ca<mailto:psmoore at torontomu.ca> URL: www.psmoore.ca<http://www.psmoore.ca>