[acc-cca-l] Researching LGBTQ2+ journalists in Canada

Bruce Gillespie bgillespie at wlu.ca
Wed Jun 14 11:23:29 MDT 2023

[△EXTERNAL]

My name is Bruce Gillespie and I am an associate professor in the Faculty of Liberal Arts at Wilfrid Laurier University. I am conducting a research study to learn about the on-the-job experiences of LGBTQ2+ journalists who work in Canada. I’m trying to reach as large and diverse a pool of participants as possible and hope that you will share this invitation with anyone you know who might be interested in participating in this study.

I’m interested in speaking with people who work in journalism currently or worked in journalism sometime during the past five years and may have recently retired or moved into a different field. This includes people in a variety of roles—including but not limited to writers, reporters, editors, producers, on-air hosts, photographers, videographers, and podcasters—at all career stages.

If you decide to volunteer for this study, your participation will consist of filling out a short online questionnaire. Then, all respondents will be invited to take part in a Zoom or telephone interview to discuss your experiences. In appreciation of your time, you will be entered into a draw to receive a $25 gift certificate.

Participation in this study is voluntary and the final decision about participation is yours. This study has been reviewed and received ethics clearance through the Wilfrid Laurier University Research Ethics Board (#8518).

If you would like to participate in this study, please click on the link below to access the informed consent statement and questionnaire.

https://wlu.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cASrh4QBSEPbQUe

Sincerely,

Bruce

BRUCE GILLESPIE (he/him)

Associate Professor, Faculty of Liberal Arts

Laurier Teaching Fellow

Wilfrid Laurier University

73 George St., Brantford, ON  N3T 2Y3

Office: Research and Academic Centre West, RCW314

Phone: 519-756-8228 ext. 5862, email: bgillespie at wlu.ca