[acc-cca-l] Meeting for Grad Program Directors at CCA Conference: In Person/ Online

Jeremy Shtern jshtern at torontomu.ca
Thu May 25 15:16:19 MDT 2023

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear Colleagues,

After some discussion between a number of grad program directors and then with the CCA leadership, we have organized an informal meeting/discussion space for grad program directors from any and all Canadian Communications MA/PhD programs as part of this year's CCA conference.

We hope that each program will send their grad director or a faculty member as a delegate. The meeting will take place in person at York, but we will run a zoom link as well.

The meeting will be held Tuesday May 30th (The first day of the CCA conference), from 1230-1330 in DB 1016.

The zoom link for anyone attending online is:
https://torontomu.zoom.us/j/94671700159?pwd=bEJMcG94Ymh3bENLK3MwWllwRmhiQT09

There will be sandwiches provided by the CCA for in person attendees.

The intention of this initiative is to create an informal space for discussion of graduate education in Communication Studies in Canada,  compare notes and collaborate on recruitment initiatives and on confronting issues of concern to all grad programs and students. There is no binding commitment to any programs or faculty attending.

Next steps:

Each Canadian grad program in Communication studies and/or cognate fields is invited to send its program director (or a faculty member delegate), preferably in person if someone will be onsite (but online if needed).

Please RSVP by adding your program and attendee to this google<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwWT20XPMLLjiYhVtz7ZeZ3VnOW0OT_3H-tx8EiD9MA/edit?usp=sharing> doc.

On the same google doc, please also feel free to edit or add to the draft agenda, which was sketched out of some very informal conversations held a few months ago.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ghislain and I off-list.

The meeting will be informal, and both English and French language interventions will be welcomed.

Kind regards,

Jeremy

--

[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1qwDZHTgn3o-hMmaCpKPOQAaQBDGPUs8H&revid=0B54234RiufgwUDZHVVJsZ1UvNmFzNHlmNG1STGZFcVpBVG1nPQ][https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1K1CyEgga_6PGdZSBuyXjVEelnHCslpJU&revid=0B_RkF_umA_XJOG91bm5ZTXlVQ2RpZE5aaWhYQWRBdUpnK0J3PQ]

[https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail-sig/AIorK4wLKEGMrYvO6Yo8gPasgSPFpToGvctbpxOMd5WwofJDRmLrTu3QuRGbJtIF9I-rizuuzb-haKM]

Jeremy Shtern, PhD (he/him)

Professor and Interim Chair

School of Creative Industries,<https://ryersoncreative.ca/>

The Creative School

&

Graduate Program Director

Joint Graduate Program in Communication and Culture<https://www.ryerson.ca/graduate/programs/comcult/>

The Yeates School of Graduate Studies

Toronto Metropolitan University<https://www.torontomu.ca/> (Formerly Ryerson University*)

350 Victoria Street, Toronto, ON  M5B 2K3

jshtern@<mailto:jshtern at ryerson.ca>torontomu.ca<http://torontomu.ca>

(jshtern at ryerson.ca<mailto:jshtern at ryerson.ca>)

(+001)416-979-5000 ex. 553301

Office: KH-S-349-F

In April 2022, the university announced our new name of Toronto Metropolitan University, which will be implemented in a phased approach. Learn more about our next chapter<https://www.ryerson.ca/next-chapter/>.