[acc-cca-l] Console-ing Passions 2023 @ UCalgary

Jessalynn Keller jessalynn.keller at ucalgary.ca
Thu May 18 08:08:12 MDT 2023

Dear CCA colleagues,

The Department of Communication, Media & Film at the University of Calgary is hosting the 2023 Console-ing Passions Conference, an international feminist media studies conference that will be taking place from June 22 – 24, 2023 at the Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning on the UCalgary campus. Despite having a 30+ year history, CP has not been hosted by a Canadian institution since 1997 (!!!) and so we’re very excited to welcome the CP community to Calgary next month.

Keynotes and panels promise to initiate important discussions about topics that include far-right media cultures, TikTok trends, queer media politics, and hashtag feminisms.

We have three exciting keynotes:
Sarah Sharma, University of Toronto, Talk title TBA
Simidele Dosekun, London School of Economics, “Beyond ‘Reifying Whiteness’ in Feminist Media Studies”
Vivek Shraya, University of Calgary, multidisciplinary artist, “Vivek Shraya’s Feminist Lens” (Vivek’s talk is free and open to the public!)

On the evening of Friday, June 23 we’ll also be hosting the Calgary premiere of Marusya Bociurkiw’s (Toronto Metropolitan University) new feature-length documentary, Analogue Revolution: How Feminist Media Changed the World, an event which is also free and open to the public.

Please see our attached poster for further information about the conference or visit our conference website: http://www.consoleingpassions2023.ca

Information about Console-ing Passions can be found here: https://www.console-ingpassions.org

It is not too late to join us for CP 2023… the deadline for conference registration is June 11, 2023.

I hope to see some of you next month at the conference!

Cheers,
Jessalynn
CP Board Member
Chair of CP 2023 @ UCalgary on behalf of the organizing committee: Alora Paulsen Mulvey, Tamara Shepherd, Samantha Thrift

Jessalynn Keller, Ph.D. (she/her)
Associate Professor
Department of Communication, Media and Film
University of Calgary, Canada
jessalynn.keller at ucalgary.ca<mailto:jessalynn.keller at ucalgary.ca>
@jessalynn_marie

CP 2023 @ U of C: https://www.consoleingpassions2023.ca

The University of Calgary is located on traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations).  The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.  The traditional Blackfoot name of the place we now call Calgary is “Moh’kins’tsis” .