[acc-cca-l] Canadian Cinema in the New Millennium (special price!)

Charles Tepperman cetepper at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 27 09:47:19 MST 2023

Dear friends and colleagues-

I’m delighted to announce that Canadian Cinema in the New Millennium is now available!

This volume, co-edited by Lee Carruthers and myself and published by McGill-Queen's, features many wonderful essays (some by CCA members) about Canadian films, filmmakers, and film contexts since the year 2000 (see TOC below). We hope this work will be helpful to any of you with teaching, research, or passionate interest in Canadian film.

Canadian Cinema in the New Millennium<https://www.mqup.ca/canadian-cinema-in-the-new-millennium-products-9780228015949.php> is available directly from the the publisher's website - use 30% discount code MQSP until 30 June 2023. (And available from other booksellers, but without the discount). Please encourage your library to acquire a copy. Feel free to circulate the attached flyer widely.

We look forward to seeing you all and celebrating the publication of this book at Congress in May!

Charles

Introduction: Towards a Renewed Critical Optics for Contemporary Canadian Cinema 3
Charles Tepperman and Lee Carruthers

PART ONE: FEATURE FILMS AND FILMMAKERS

1 Speaking across Borders: Xavier Dolan and the Transnationalism of Contemporary Auteur Cinema in Quebec 25
Ian Robinson

2 An Equivocal Auteur: Gauging Style and Substance in the Films of Denis Villeneuve 42
Lee Carruthers

3 A “Momentary Melancholy”: Female Desire and the Promise of Happiness in the Cinema of Sarah Polley 67
Tanya Horeck

4 Indigenous Women’s Cinema in Quebec: The Works and Words of Mohawk Filmmaker Sonia Bonspille Boileau 87
Karine Bertrand

5 Le cinéma à l’estomac: Denis Côté and the New Wave of Quebec Cinema (2004-19) 104
Jean-Pierre Sirois-Trahan

6 Fluid Privilege: Reading “Canadian” Water in Wet Bum (2014) and Sleeping Giant (2015) 120
Jennifer VanderBurgh

7 Toronto’s New DIY Filmmakers 134
David Davidson

8 Northern Frights: Canadian Horror in the Twenty-First Century 150
Murray Leeder

PART TWO: DOCUMENTARY AND EXPERIMENTAL FILMMAKING

9 Beauty Day and the Crises of Self-Directed Work 169
Mike Meneghetti

10 Mythologizing Manitoba: The Negated Truth of My Winnipeg 186
Miriam Siegel and Charlie Keil

11 Indigenizing the Archive: Souvenir and the NFB 203
Gillian Roberts

12 I-doc and My-doc: Bear 71 and Highrise as Canadian Documentaries 217
Seth Feldman

13 Diasporic Sights: Trauma and Representation in Recent Canadian Poetic Cinema 234
Dan Browne

14 dominique t. skoltz and New States of Cinematic Matter 256
Melanie Wilmink

PART THREE: CANADIAN FILM CONTEXTS, FESTIVALS, AND INDUSTRIES

15 A Taxing Culture: Reconsidering the Service Production 275
Charles R. Acland

16 Collective Action! Unions in the Canadian Film and Television Industry 298
Amanda Coles

17 Making Room: International Co-productions and Canadian National Cinema 321
Peter Lester

18 Troubling Toronto Queer Festivals: Transgressions in and of Queer Counterpublics 340
Aimée Mitchell

19 From Showcase to Lightbox: Programming the National on the Festival Circuit 370
Diane Burgess

Charles Tepperman, PhD
Associate Professor & Department Head
Department of Communication, Media and Film | University of Calgary
Director, Amateur Movie Database project: http://www.amateurcinema.org<http://www.amateurcinema.org/>

The University of Calgary is located on traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations).  The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.  The traditional Blackfoot name of the place we now call Calgary is “Moh’kins’tsis” .