[acc-cca-l] Media & Internet Concentration in Canada, 1984-2021 - 11th Edition released Today!

Guy Hoskins ghoskins at ryerson.ca
Tue Nov 15 07:36:06 MST 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

It is our pleasure to announce the release of the second report in our annual two-part series on the state of the communication, Internet and media industries in Canada. This is part of the Global Media and Internet Concentration Project (GMICP) directed by Prof. Winseck, and the full report can be downloaded today from our website at the following link:

https://gmicp.org/media-and-internet-concentration-in-canada-1984-2021/

Some of the standout findings from this year's report include:

  *   Rogers, TELUS, and Bell continue to dominate the national mobile wireless market with 89.2% of the sector’s revenue last year, but new entrants Shaw (Freedom), Vidéotron and Eastlink’s share of the wireless market continued to inch upwards to 8.4% (based on revenue) in 2021.
  *   The Competition Bureau's current attempt to block Rogers Communications’ proposed $26 billion take-over of Shaw Communications will have a significant influence on whether these recent, modest improvements will continue.
  *   Quebec has the least concentrated market, where  Vidéotron had 16.5% market share by revenue and 20.6% based on subscribers at the end of 2021.
  *   Netflix had revenue of $1.3 billion and 7.5 million subscribers in Canada and a 37.5% share of the $3.5 billion online video services market in 2021.

  *   Google and Facebook, collectively, accounted for 80% of the estimated $12.6 billion online advertising revenue in 2021 and are now the fourth and seventh largest entities in the network media economy in Canada.

  *   Overall, the top six Canadian companies—Bell, TELUS, Rogers, Shaw, Quebecor and the CBC— accounted for 69% of network media economy revenue last year; in contrast, the “big six” US-based Internet giants’ combined revenue in Canada of $14.9 billion gave them a 15.8% market share.

Professor Winseck is currently on sabbatical and out of the country. He can best be reached at dwayne.winseck at carleton.ca<mailto:dwayne.winseck at carleton.ca>

Dr. Guy Hoskins
Post-doctoral researcher & Project Manager -
Global Media & Internet Concentration Project<https://gmicp.org/>
Course Instructor - Toronto Metropolitan University<https://www.ryerson.ca/next-chapter/>
Ghoskins at ryerson.ca<mailto:Ghoskins at ryerson.ca>
@walmartyr