[acc-cca-l] Critical Tech Talk 4: Batya Friedman

Marcel O'Gorman marcel at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Oct 24 08:41:34 MDT 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear CCA Friends,

Please see details below for a talk by Batya Friedman, a leader in value sensitive design. Would be glad to see you there.

Our winter Critical Tech Talk will feature Claire Horn, an expert in reproductive tech. Her talk will focus on ectogenesis.

Best,
m.

Please join us for the 4th event in the Critical Tech Talk series of honest talks about innovation. For this hybrid event, we are thrilled to be hosting Professor Batya Friedman, a pioneer of Value Sensitive Design.

Shaping Technology with Moral Imagination: Leveraging the Machinery of Value Sensitive Design
Tools and technologies do no less than create and structure the conditions in which we live, express ourselves, enact society, and experience what it means to be human. They are also the result of our moral and technical imaginations, which are subjective and often constrained by systems of privilege and power. Value Sensitive Design (VSD) was developed as an approach to address this challenge from within technical design processes. Drawing on over three decades of work, in this interactive talk will provide an introduction to value sensitive design, foregrounding human values in the technical design process.

Friday, October 28, 2022, 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. | Followed by a reception
Attend online or in person at the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI)
67 Erb Street West Waterloo, ON N2L 6C2

Please register here:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/critical-tech-talk-4-batya-friedman-tickets-418085303397

Speaker
Batya Friedman is a Professor in the Information School and holds adjunct appointments in the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering, the School of Law, and the Department of Human Centered Design and Engineering at the University of Washington where she co-founded the Value Sensitive Design Lab and the UW Tech Policy Lab. Value sensitive design, pioneered by Dr. Friedman, has been adopted internationally, and it has been applied in architecture, biomedical health informatics, civil engineering, computer security, energy, global health, human-computer interaction, human-robotic interaction, information management, legal theory, moral philosophy, tech policy, transportation, and urban planning, among other areas.

Student Respondents
Carl Tutton is undertaking a PhD in Sustainability Management. His background in end-of-life electronic waste policy and management systems, material flow analysis, and long-time interests and hobbies in consumer electronics led to his interest in the beginning of the lifecycle of products, the design phase. His work seeks to analyze successful implementations of, and barriers to, sustainable design changes and more efficient product lifecycles.

Sid Heeg is a PhD student in Sustainability Management. Their research focuses on mis/disinformation surrounding farming and farm practices and how to bridge the knowledge gap between urban and rural populations. They are interested in learning how social media algorithms play a role in the continued spread of mis/disinformation and how it impacts sustainable farming practices.

Moderator
Marcel O’Gorman is a Professor of English, University Research Chair, and Director of the Critical Media Lab. He co-wrote the Tech for Good Declaration and leads several funded research projects on the topic of Responsible Innovation. His publications, cross-sector workshops, and critical design projects reflect on the entanglement of technology, humanity, and the more-than-human.

Questions? Contact Marcel O’Gorman: marcel at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:marcel at uwaterloo.ca>
--
Professor Marcel O'Gorman, PhD
University Research Chair

I acknowledge that I work and teach on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishnaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, land promised and given to Six Nations, which includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.