[acc-cca-l] Assistant/Associate Professor Position in Indigenous Journalism and (Story)telling – Carleton University

Trish Audette-Longo trish.audette at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:49:31 MDT 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

Assistant/Associate Professor – Journalism and Communication (Indigenous Journalism and (Story)telling)
https://carleton.ca/sjc/careers/assistant-associate-professor-journalism-and-communication-indigenous-journalism-and-storytelling/ <https://carleton.ca/sjc/careers/assistant-associate-professor-journalism-and-communication-indigenous-journalism-and-storytelling/>

About the Position

  *   Field of Specialization: Indigenous Journalism and (Story)telling
  *   Academic Unit: School of Journalism and Communication
  *   Category of Appointment: Preliminary (Tenure Track) or Tenured
  *   Rank/Position Title: Assistant or Associate Professor
  *   Start Date: July 1, 2023
  *   Closing Date: Consideration of complete applications will begin October 17, 2022 and continue until the position is filled

The School of Journalism and Communication invites applications from qualified Indigenous candidates for a preliminary (tenure track) or tenured appointment as a Professor of Journalism at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor (appointment will be consistent with the successful candidate’s qualifications), beginning July 1, 2023.

Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. In addition to First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples, we welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression. In accordance with the University’s Employment Equity Program and pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code Section 14, this selection will be limited to Indigenous peoples. Candidates from Indigenous communities and the groups noted above are encouraged to self-identify. Carleton University acknowledges and respects the Algonquin Anishinaabe people, traditional custodians of the land on which the Carleton University campus is situated.

The successful candidate will develop courses for the journalism program; teach and advise undergraduate and graduate students; explore collaborations with other units at Carleton; lead a program of research on Indigenous journalism that will engage students and the journalism industry; explore ways to further decolonize journalism; and continue creating or producing impactful journalism in their chosen medium.

The successful candidate will be an active participant in the journalism program’s broader pedagogical mission, including teaching theory-based and professional journalism courses in a variety of subject areas and media formats at undergraduate/graduate levels, and undertaking graduate supervisions.

The successful candidate will also contribute to efforts to foster journalism skills and education in Indigenous communities across Canada.

About the Academic Unit

The School offers Bachelor and Master of Journalism degrees; current combined enrolment is approximately 550. It launched the Bachelor of Media Production and Design program in Fall 2018; total capacity by 2022 is expected to be in excess of 200. To learn about our journey, please visit https://carleton.ca/sjc/journalism<https://carleton.ca/sjc/journalism/>.

Perched on the banks of the Rideau River, Carleton University’s journalism program is a vibrant, student-centred department focused on the crucial work of developing the next generation of thoughtful, skilled journalists at a time when journalism itself is often under attack. Included among the ranks of our dynamic faculty and instructors are award-winning broadcast and print journalists, celebrated authors, and innovative researchers. But we’re far from perfect. Our journalism program remains at a crossroads, despite recent progress in implementing an anti-racism and decolonizing action plan to correct decades of neglect when it comes to the lack of diversity in our faculty, our hiring practices and our curriculum. In recent hiring decisions, we recognized the near absence of full-time faculty members who are racialized or identify as Indigenous, Black, or as persons of colour was a grave disservice to our students and our industry, and put us out of step with the Canadian reality. Hiring an Indigenous faculty member on a full-time basis to fashion an innovative program of teaching, research and outreach is a critical step to Carleton’s journalism program responding to the Calls to Action issued by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the university’s own Kinàmàgawin<https://carleton.ca/provost/2020/05/kinamagawin/> report.

Qualifications

Applicants must be accomplished journalists or academics with professional experience intersecting with issues of Indigenous journalism and Storytelling. Applicants will also be expected to show evidence of research experience or potential; and evidence and/or strong potential for outstanding teaching contributions, including the aptitude and enthusiasm for incorporating inventive approaches to pedagogy.

A demonstrated ability to work effectively as a contributing team member in a collaborative environment, and evidence of the capacity and initiative to assume a leadership role, is crucial.

A graduate degree in a relevant discipline, while not mandatory, may be considered an asset.

Application Instructions

Please submit the following dossier requirements (as separate PDFs):

  *   Cover letter about you and your connection to Indigenous communities;
  *   Curriculum vitae;
  *   Describe an innovative journalism, research or pedagogical project that you have worked on recently that could contribute to your ability to connect Carleton to Indigenous communities; (500 words);
  *   Describe your research interests/capabilities and connection to Indigenous communities in the field of Indigenous Journalism and Storytelling. (500 words);
  *   Three samples of journalistic or academic work (links acceptable);
  *   Please provide a statement that identifies your strengths in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in your discipline and on campus as well as your future plans.
  *   Names/contact information of three referees. Shortlisted candidates must arrange for submission of confidential letters of reference.

Please indicate in your application if you are currently legally eligible to work in Canada.

Applications should be submitted to:

Professor Allan Thompson
Associate Director, School of Journalism and Communication; Program Head, Journalism
Carleton University
Krysia.Kotarba at carleton.ca<mailto:Krysia.Kotarba at carleton.ca>

About Carleton University

Located in Ottawa, Carleton is an innovative teaching and research institution with a tradition of leading change. Internationally recognized academics, staff, and researchers engage more than 31,000 students in over 100 programs of study. Learn more about our university and the city of Ottawa<https://carleton.ca/deputyprovost/jobs/>.

Accessibility is a university strategic priority and applicants selected for an interview who require accommodations are invited to contact the Chair as soon as possible to ensure that appropriate arrangements may be made.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. All positions are subject to budgetary approval.