[acc-cca-l] Updates from the CMAC “Building an Anti-racism Strategy for Canadian Broadcasting: Conversation & Convergence” events

Felix Odartey-Wellington Felix_Odartey at cbu.ca
Wed Aug 17 10:16:06 MDT 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear CCA Colleagues,

On behalf of the Community Media Advocacy Centre (CMAC), we are pleased to share the following updates from the series of activities happening in 2022 to build an anti-racism strategy for Canadian broadcasting.

Those of you preparing or revising syllabi for this academic year may be interested in the various resources, including international agreements, legislation, policies, reports, and scholarship, we have compiled about race and media on the antiracism.media website: https://www.antiracism.media/resources/

In addition, we have hosted regional events in Montreal (April 30), Vancouver (May 14), and Halifax (June 11). The video archive and summary reports from each activity are also available on the website at the above link.

Finally, we are sharing the announcement for the fourth regional event to be held at the University of Calgary on Sept 17. The fifth regional event will follow in Winnipeg (Oct 1) and the final national convergence will take place in Ottawa (Nov 18-19). We hope you will join us for the regional events and national conference.

Dr. Felix Odartey-Wellington (CBU)
Dr. Gretchen King (LAU)
Community Media Advocacy Centre

– PLEASE SHARE WIDELY –

CALGARY EVENT: Building an Anti-racism Strategy for Canadian Broadcasting: Conversation & Convergence
JUNE 17th From 10am - 4pm at Location: University of Calgary, 124 University Gate NW, room # 105 (Blue Room)

Register (for free): https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/313754657627
Info: www.antiracism.media<https://www.antiracism.media/>
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AntiRacismMedia

Program:

  *   Keynote by Amber Dion and Terri Suntjens – âcimowin: Storywork, Podcasting and Disrupting Colonial Narratives
  *   Keynote: Reconciling Racism with Brandi Morin
  *   MelVee X – Witness Arts Workshop: Using the tools of performance and and visual art to explore anti-racism in meaningful and creative ways in order to be a catalyst for positive social change
  *   Migrante Alberta – Telling the migrant stories
  *   CMAC – Open Forum on the Guiding Questions

About: Made possible with support from Canadian Heritage’s Anti-Racism Action Program, these important and timely events will help confront barriers experienced by Racialized Canadians (including BIPOC, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) in media-access, representation, and employment-related practices. The goal of the events is to develop and disseminate an Anti-Racism Strategy that will reduce barriers to participation in media and broadcasting policy-making for Racialized Canadians.

The Calgary meeting is the fourth of five regional facilitated meetings on anti-racism and Canadian broadcasting. The subsequent event will be hosted in Winnipeg, culminating in a national conference to be held at Carleton University in Ottawa. Check-out our website<https://www.antiracism.media/> and Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/Building-an-Anti-Racism-Strategy-for-Canadian-Broadcasting-hosted-by-CMAC-110514731588859/> to view the proceedings of the April 30th and May 14th meetings in Montreal, Vancouver and Halifax. The event details are available online: www.antiracism.media<https://www.antiracism.media/>

Quick Facts

  *   CMAC is a non-profit organization supporting self-determination in media through research, relationship-building, advocacy, and learning.
  *   CMAC engages in policy processes affecting community and Indigenous media; builds relationships with other non-profit organizations serving community and Indigenous media; and participates in research projects and conferences to advance practices, knowledge, and policy for Indigenous and community media in Canada and internationally

Dr. Felix Odartey-Wellington
Associate Professor of Communication/ Professeur agrégé de communication
Department of Communication and Languages/ Département de communication et Langues
Cape Breton University
1250 Grand Lake Road
Sydney, Nova Scotia/ Nouvelle-Écosse
Canada B1M 1A2