[acc-cca-l] Fwd: Summer Institute on Right-wing Extremism: The State of Play

Evan Light elight at glendon.yorku.ca
Tue Apr 12 12:42:08 MDT 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Summer Institute on Right-wing Extremism: The State of Play
Date:   Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:16:08 +0000
From:   CHBE at ontariotechu.ca<mailto:CHBE at ontariotechu.ca> <CHBE at ontariotechu.ca><mailto:CHBE at ontariotechu.ca>

Dear Colleagues,

The Centre on Hate, Bias and Extremism is proud to offer its first Summer Institute on right-wing extremism, in collaboration with the Centre for the Analysis of the Radical Right (CARR). We are offering it both for credit for current MA and PhD students (SSCI 5400), and as a certificate program for stakeholders and policy makers in the field. The online format is intended to expand our potential audience of participants internationally, as well as allowing us to invite speakers from across the globe.

The graduate student for credit portion would extend over the 7-week spring semester (May 9 to June 27). Students will meet a couple of times in the early part of the semester, and again later in the semester. In the middle of the course (May 30-June 3), they will be joined by registered stakeholders to hear from leading experts and practitioners in this field of the study. Stakeholders will also participate in workshops each afternoon.

Below are the themes we’ll be engaging with on each day:

Day 1 – Patterns of Hate and RWE Globally
Day 2 – Political Narratives of Hate
Day 3 – Exploiting the Net: Online Hate
Day 4 – Military and Law Enforcement RWE Connections
Day 5 – Government and Civil Society Responses to RWE Globally
For more information on both the student for credit portion and the stakeholder certificate program, and on how to register, please see attached.

We urge you to consider registering for the course (SSCI 5400) if you are currently enrolled in a graduate program, or the one-week certificate session if you are an interested stakeholder working this space. Please also consider circulating this message and attachments within your networks. We would be especially appreciative if you could draw students’ attention to the graduate course.

Thank you & regards,

Barbara Perry and Brad Galloway on behalf of the CHBE team

Centre on Hate, Bias and Extremism <https://socialscienceandhumanities.ontariotechu.ca/centre-on-hate-bias-and-extremism/index.php><https://socialscienceandhumanities.ontariotechu.ca/centre-on-hate-bias-and-extremism/index.php>
University of Ontario Institute of Technology (Ontario Tech)
Bordessa Hall - DBT 204
55 Bond St E, Oshawa, ON