[acc-cca-l] Defining a Canadian Program for a Digital Age: Presentation & Discussion MARCH 31

Jessica Bay jbay at yorku.ca
Sun Mar 27 15:02:22 MDT 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

Hello All,

Apologies for cross-posting and all of the usual!

DM at X-tra, the student organization attached to the Digital Media at the Crossroads<https://www.digitalmediaatthecrossroads.com/> conference, is holding our first speaker series event on March 31 from 7-9pm ET! I’ve attached a bit of a flyer for your information, but I’ve also included the info in the body of the email here. Please join us online for a presentation about the concept of a “Canadian” production in the screen industries in Canada, particularly in relation to the upcoming changes proposed by Bill C-11. The talk will be followed by a Q&A and then we are going to meet in breakout rooms to discuss the issue together and come up with some ideas for recommendations. While we envisioned this event as geared toward students, it is open to the public so there are some industry, student, and faculty members attending that you may be able to engage with during the discussions. Please register on EventBrite<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dmxtra-event-an-in-the-weeds-presentation-and-roundtable-workshops-tickets-299170054687?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=escb> so you’ll be sure to get the Zoom link!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions: jbay at yorku.ca<mailto:jbay at yorku.ca>

Thank you!
Jessica
Even if you don’t want to/can’t come to the event, it will be recorded and made available later for your entertainment or use in your courses. Please reach out if you’d like information on our follow-up activities regarding policy brief creation workshops, etc.
Join our Discord to get that link when it’s available or just to have fun discussions about the media industry and policy (I think they’re fun anyway!).
DISCORD invite<https://discord.gg/cbpbZcFweZ>
Eventbrite Link<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dmxtra-event-an-in-the-weeds-presentation-and-roundtable-workshops-tickets-299170054687?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=escb>

DM at X-tra Presents: An “In the Weeds” Discussion and Roundtable Workshop
March 31, 2022 7-9pmET online

What qualifies as a Canadian Program? And what should the definition become in the world of Bill C-11?
This presentation will be led by Douglas Barrett (Adjunct Professor, Arts, Media and Entertainment MBA Program, Schulich School of Business, former Board Chair of the Canadian Television Fund ) and Erin Finlay (Partner Stohn, Hay, Cafazzo, Dembroski and Richmond LLP, and former Chief Legal Officer to the Canadian Media Production Association), and will be moderated by Jessica Bay (Teaching Assistant, University of St. Michaels College, University of Toronto, PhD Candidate) and   Carolyne Sumner (Teaching Assistant, Faculty of Music, University of Toronto, PhD Candidate Musicology, Executive Director, DM at X).

About this event
For almost 50 years, Canada has developed a group of complex but effective tools for subsidizing the production of Canadian film and television programmes. Some of the tools are by way of the CRTC’s regulation of broadcasters, some are policy driven by both the CRTC and the Department of Canadian Heritage, some are direct subsidies from provisional and federal governments through the tax system, and some are through non-governmental organizations “nudged” by the CRTC.

Needless to say, every creative producer in Canada needs to be deeply familiar with all of these regimes. And now the recently tabled Bill C-11, the Online Streaming Act, opens the question of how the foreign streamers will make their own contribution to the system.

Throughout these same fifty years one set of rules, somewhat differently applied in different circumstances, has underpinned the entire Canadian subsidy system: the definition of what constitutes a Canadian program.
This definition will now be placed under close review as Bill C-11 explicitly asks the CRTC to determine:

  1.  whether Canadians (should) own copyright in relation to a program, control the exploitation of a program and retain a material and equitable portion of its value;
  2.  whether key creative positions in the production of a program (should be) primarily held by Canadians;
  3.  whether a program (should) furthers Canadian artistic and cultural expression;
  4.  whether persons carrying on online undertakings or programming undertakings (should) collaborate with independent Canadian producers, with persons carrying on Canadian broadcasting undertakings producing their own programs or with producers associated with Canadian broadcasting undertakings.