[acc-cca-l] New Book - Wars of Position

Dr. H. F. Pimlott hpimlott at wlu.ca
Tue Jan 18 14:18:36 MST 2022

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the publication of my book, “Wars of Position? Marxism Today, Cultural Politics and the Remaking of the Left Press, 1979-90”, last month (December 2021) by Brill Academic Publishers in the Historical Materialism Book Series (No. 248).

“Inspired by Raymond Williams’ cultural materialism, H.F. Pimlott explores the connections between political practice and cultural form through Marxism Today’s transformation from a Communist Party theoretical journal into a ‘glossy’ left magazine. Marxism Today’s successes and failures during the 1980s are analysed through its political and cultural critiques of Thatcherism and the left, especially by Stuart Hall and Eric Hobsbawm, innovative publicity and marketplace distribution, relationships with the national UK press, cultural coverage, design and format, and writing style. Wars of Position? offers insights for contemporary media activists and challenges the neglect of the left press by media scholars.”

I should add that the book also draws upon some of the insights and critiques that Raymond Williams’s offered during this period that were larger overlooked or ignored on the left.

The book includes a series of images of the changes in Marxism Today’s design.

https://brill.com/view/title/21878

The hardback and e-book costs make this book more suitable as a purchase by a University Library. However, in 12-14 months time, a paperback version will be published.

Faithfully,

Hillary Pimlott