[acc-cca-l] Graduate Conference CFP Alert! Carleton University's Communication Graduate Caucus Presents: (Super)Natural

CGC Conference cgcconference2022 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:53:34 MST 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Hello,

The Communication Graduate Caucus (CGC) at Carleton University is excited to announce our upcoming conference: (Super)Natural. As such, we are reaching out to ask for your support in circulating our Call for Proposals to your community’s Listserv. We have attached our CFP and provided it in a body text version below.

If you have any questions or if there is someone else we should contact, please let us know.

We thank you for aiding us in this endeavor,
Alex Milton, Justine Routhier, Maria-Antonia Urso, & Shanice Bernicky
The 2021-2022 CGC Conference Committee

The Communication Graduate Caucus (CGC) is delighted to circulate the Call for Proposals for (Super)Natural: 17th Annual CGC Conference!

[CFP-banner.gif]

 (Super)Natural

17th Annual Communication Graduate Caucus Conference

February 28 - March 1, 2022 | Virtual and Synchronous via Zoom - Carleton University

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Deadline for Submissions: December 17th, 2021

The 2022 conference theme imagines us as mediums, communicating with entities beyond our perception and expanding our senses into unknown spaces. Let us explore the Othered voices that haunt and disrupt the words of Western theoretical canons and the bellowing ghosts of fraught histories. Consider the enchantments of the internet and how we can illuminate the demons from the darkest corners of the digital network. And what makes something science fiction versus supernatural? Where is the divide between the paranormal and science, and how do we decide what is considered a “natural” part of the scientific world? How does the (super)natural world itself work towards influencing our perceptions? Beyond the spooky, we invite intersectional discussion around communication within the natural world, and how it is supported and extended by technology and media. We strive to understand the infrastructures and their impacts on the environment and non-human beings, but also human nature itself. We understand the terms “nature” and “natural” broadly, but how does communication extend/contend with the natural? We stand in a moment where the past and the present are colliding. Stretching and making flexible historically fixed objects might prove productive in order to generate new articulations of the future.

 Potential topics include, but are not limited to:

  *   Adapting nature for human lifestyles, while considering how the environment utilizes its own agency. How do we make nature “super” or something more than it was originally, whether through technology or discourse?
  *   How scientific and/or digital data reflects and determines past and present connections such as health risk assessments or social hierarchies.

  *   How the visuality of groups, places, or objects continues to evolve leaving certain figures in limbo or the representations of identities, bodies, spaces, and constructs in media texts.

  *   The discussion of past theoretical canons and their contributions that haunt or guide our fields and their impacts through a modern lens.
  *   How cultural artefacts such as comic books, television shows, or films inspire future technologies.

  *   The identification of power structures, grappling with (in)equities in societies. How does naming monsters lend strength to struggles?

Proposal Submission Guidelines:

The CGC welcomes proposals for 15-minute individual presentations. These submissions may be co-authored. Submissions should include an abstract of approximately 200 words, providing a brief description of the topic’s relevance to the conference theme, a title, the author’s full name(s), current academic/community affiliations, and any technical accommodations you require. We also ask for a short biography of 50-100 words, and contact information of the presenter(s). If you would like to submit a panel, please provide a proposal of approximately 600 words detailing the panel’s description with a title, the panel’s connection to the conference theme, each participant’s contribution to the discussion, and any technical accommodations you require. Presenters should also submit 50-100 word biographies. Panel presentations are scheduled to be no longer than 45 minutes to allow for a question period. If submitting a research-creation or non-paper proposal, please also describe how you would like to showcase your work, so that the committee can explore how we can accommodate your request. Please note that pre-recorded presentations are happily welcome! This inclusive conference encourages submissions from persons of diverse intersections and positionalities—we hope that you will feel comfortable to bring your whole self and experiential knowledge to this event. We ask that submissions of proposals be sent electronically by filing out this google form: https://forms.gle/ixiV7YQpK7kUP3c67<https://forms.gle/ixiV7YQpK7kUP3c67>. Alternatively, you may submit to the CGC conference email address (cgcconference2022 at gmail.com<mailto:cgcconference2022 at gmail.com>). The deadline is December 17th, 2021. We also ask that each presenter submit a text script of their presentation if possible by February 20th, 2022 that will be made accessible to all attendees.

At the time of the synchronous conference, each speaker will give their presentation to a live digital audience. Any pre-recorded materials will be screen-shared by a conference volunteer. Following each presentation, a 15-minute Q&A session will allow presenters to address questions raised by audience members. Keynote presentations and opening/closing presentations will be conducted in the same format. Because presentations will take place on Zoom, we ask that presenters plan their presentations with this platform in mind.

Keynote Speakers to come!

The 17th annual CGC Conference will provide graduate students with the opportunity to present their work, collect valuable feedback from a range of related research communities, and to foster their own professional development. Our goal is to stimulate conversations between emerging scholars and professionals about respective and intersecting fields of research.

Upon acceptance to the conference, students are also encouraged to submit their full paper for the Canadian Journal of Communication<mailto:https://cjc-online.ca/index.php/journal> Student Paper Prize by January 15th, 2022. For more information about this award, please reach out to the conference committee. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to reading your submissions!

Alex Milton, Justine Routhier, Maria-Antonia Urso & Shanice Bernicky

2021-2022 CGC Conference Committee, Carleton University

cgcconference2022 at gmail.com<mailto:cgcconference2022 at gmail.com>

https://cgccarleton.ca/cgc-conference/