[acc-cca-l] Critical Tech Talk - tonight!

Marcel O'Gorman marcel at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 8 10:21:09 MST 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear ACC-CCA Colleagues.

I am pleased to present the first in a series of “honest talks about innovation” that I’m co-hosting at U of Waterloo with all 6 faculties and Communitech. The first talk is tonight at 5pm EST, and the speaker is Nicole Aschoff, author of The Smartphone Society and an editor at Verso Books. You can livestream it for free. Please see below.

Hope to see some SLSA comrades in the audience!

Best,
m.

Join the first Critical Tech Talk<https://uwaterloo.ca/arts/critical-tech-talk>, featuring guest speaker Nicole Aschoff on the digital frontier and its limits, next Monday, November 8.

Nicole Aschoff <https://www.nicoleaschoff.com/> is an editor, writer and public sociologist focused on technology, labour, politics, feminism, the economy, and the environment. Her recent book is The Smartphone Society: Technology, Power, and Resistance in the New Gilded Age.

WHEN: Monday, Nov. 8 at 5pm
WHERE: Theatre of the Arts in-person and livestream
REGISTER<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/critical-tech-talk-1-nicole-aschoff-tickets-191803568637> (for either in-person or livestream)

Produced by the Critical Media Lab, Critical Tech Talk is a series of honest dialogues about technological innovation involving all six faculties, the Office of Research, and external partner Communitech. Each faculty will co-host a techno-critical speaker and invite Waterloo students and local tech sector members to participate in an on-stage dialogue and lead a post-event discussion online.

--
Professor Marcel O'Gorman, PhD
University Research Chair

I acknowledge that I work and teach on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishnaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, land promised and given to Six Nations, which includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.