[acc-cca-l] PhD scholarship opportunity at the Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University
george.eric at uqam.ca
Wed Nov 3 07:14:07 MDT 2021
The Institute for Culture and Society (Western Sydney University) is offering a doctoral research scholarship to a highly motivated PhD candidate to work within a collaborative Linkage Project funded through the Australian Research Council in partnership with the Museum of Arts and Applied Sciences. The project explores the concept of the ‘collaborative museum’ as a synergising agent, proposing an invaluable, ground-breaking framework for establishing community-embedded cultural infrastructure.
We are seeking a candidate with academic qualifications in Cultural Studies, Heritage Studies, Sociology, Anthropology or related disciplines to conduct research into the changing physical, cultural, and social spaces of Parramatta. The candidate is expected to explore Parramatta’s urban transformations with a focus on place-making, cultures and communities.
The candidate may wish to explore one or more of the following areas:
– Emergent and established cultural landscapes including Powerhouse Parramatta, Riverside Theatre, Event Cinemas, and new modes of cultural engagement initiated by the city’s residents including its multicultural communities
– Multicultural food and its relationship to place-making and belonging, including the re-development of Church Street in Parramatta, the Harris Park ‘Little India’ precinct and Wigram Road comprising of South Asian restaurants
– Senses of heritage in the context of rapid urban development and multiculturalism
– New forms of urban living and transport including the light rail and bicycling tracks by the Parramatta River and the development of Smart Streets
– Multicultural festivals like Diwali and Holi which are celebrated annually by the Parramatta River and in the Parramatta Park, and the Parramatta Lanes festival
The project will be based at the ICS and supervised by Dr Malini Sur, Dr Zelmarie Cantillon and Professor Deborah Stevenson.
The scholarship is open to domestic and international candidates and includes a living stipend of $30,000 (AUD) per year for up to three years. For information on eligiblity requirements and how to apply, see: https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/schools/grs/scholarships/current_scholarships/current_scholarships/place-making,_cultures_and_communities_in_parramatta<https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/schools/grs/scholarships/current_scholarships/current_scholarships/place-making,_cultures_and_communities_in_parramatta>. Questions about this project can also be directed to the principal supervisor, Dr Malini Sur (m.sur at westernsydney.edu.au<mailto:m.sur at westernsydney.edu.au>).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the acc-cca-L