[acc-cca-l] New Book - Life Is Like Canadian Football and Other Authentic Folk Songs

Henry Adam Svec henry.svec at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 30 11:24:09 MDT 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I wanted to let you know about my new book, which has just been published by Invisible Publishing, entitled Life Is Like Canadian Football and Other Authentic Folk Songs.

It has emerged from my ongoing research on folk revivalism and media theory, but it is a work of fiction (a novel). The book tells the story of a Canadian grad student who, while working in the basement of Library and Archives Canada, uncovers a box of tapes documenting the folk songs of the Canadian Football League c. 1970, which, it turns out, were made by the iconoclastic and communistic Canadian phonographer Staunton R. Livingston. The discovery launches this grad student onto a quest of professional and personal discovery, from London to Dawson City to Sackville, NB.

It's a bildungsroman of sorts, but also an alternative history of Canadian media theory.

I'll be performing from the book at this year's Hillside Festival, too, if you would like to see the live version of the project.

Here's a link to the publisher page, where you can order a copy and also take a look at some blurbs and more information: https://invisiblepublishing.com/product/life-is-like-canadian-football/

Take care, and stay cool!

Sincerely,

Henry

Henry Adam Svec, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication Arts
University of Waterloo
New Book: Life Is Like Canadian Football and Other Authentic Folk Songs<https://invisiblepublishing.com/product/life-is-like-canadian-football/?fbclid=IwAR1RNGrdicRSt8zJuL24ItFZHByJoCa_96BdP9ezpAvi6pGsJafSQxiqPVA>
www.henryadamsvec.ca<http://www.henryadamsvec.ca>